I saw my mother for the first time in a year. After writing her a rather honest letter, I expected a cold greeting. I got one. But it was nice to see that she was making an effort to see her family. Only a daughter can know of her cold blank stare and what it meant....which brings me to my next point. When dealing with someone that has a mental illness that causes harm to others, it is important to be honest with that person. A while back she wrote me a letter, which she does every year, trying to manipulate and guilt me into a relationship with her. It's very hard to reason with someone that has borderline personality disorder. Relationships are extremely difficult and only can be salvaged on the part of the non mentally ill persons in their lives. It' weird not having a relationship with my own mother, but it's really for the best. She made an effort to see her family after the 10 or 11th time she has disowned them. Maybe my honesty has made some sort of impact. Loving imperfect people is not easy. And protecting yourself and your family is more important than being someone's verbal punching bag...so it remains to be seen if she will seek help. That is all I asked of her. Seek help. Go to therapy, take medication, make an effort. Maybe she will...
Another surprise, I got to be the Super Aunty and take my 5 month old nephew Payden, for the night. Jenn finally consented for us to steal him away. The girls are already up and taking turns cooing at him. He slept by my side the whole night, preferring not to sleep in a crib. Fine by me. There is something about a little baby that just makes you overwhelmingly happy. He is the cutest baby ever! (Well except for my 5...)
2 comments:
Yup, been there, done that, with the mentally ill parent. It's tough! It has taken many years for me to decide to put myself and my own little family first and realize I don't have to play his (my dad's) games of manipulation anymore. At least he lives across the country -- that makes it considerable easier to keep him out of my life.
ah....I have a friend in you! This is when we both can live the commandment to honor our Father and Mother by being the kind of parent worthy of honor....Hope the holidays were good for you.
Post a Comment