Thursday, November 26, 2009

My thanksgiving Menu...

Usually, we have people over on Thanksgiving.  And I am notorious for making way too much food.  This year, we are keeping it simple because my parents happen to be in Barbados for the holiday.  Rough for them right?  So I am not going all out.  But rather, I am keeping it simple.  I'm still making my traditional Southern Ham which is a time consuming process, but besides that, nothing special.  Instead of homemade sausage stuffing, it's Stove Top.  Instead of homemade rolls, it's cresents in a tube.  I am making mash potatoes with cream and a homemade sweetpotato dish and a glorious dessert or two.  But all in all, it's pretty low key around here.
Which brings me to a conclusion that I just realized.  Holidays are not about decorating and gifts, and all the stuff that goes along with it, it's about the cooking and the people.  If I get to cook, it's my favorite holiday.  I love easter, because I usually host it.  I love Thanksgiving, because I usually cook for most of it. I love get togethers at my house because I cook for them...the common denominator includes me and the kitchen.  I love cooking!  I am so thankful that I do it well.  My mother, bless her messed up heart, can't make rice a roni right.  It is not her nature.  Thankfully, my stepmother was the world's best cook and inspired me when I was young.  So today, while I am not going all out, I will be teaching both my girls the basics of the Thanksgiving.  Hopefully, they will learn to love it as much as I do.

Who knows, maybe it's just about the Ham!
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

No comments: