Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Chart House, the Annual Tradition

Stacey and Tonya took me to a crazy movie right after Kevin died. It was serendipitous. Little did any of us know that is was all about a widow and how she fell in love after her husband had died. Ben Affleck and Gwenyth Paltrow did a great job...but it was definitely not the intended message that either of them wanted to provide me at the time. Then there was the Rugrats movie I watched just days after Kevin's death that was all about how Chucky's daddy gets remarried. He was a widower. It was as if Kevin was trying to speak to me through Hollywood! I can laugh about it now. It's really quite funny. Thing is, one of our last coherent conversations was about the fact that I was never going to get remarried. You say things like that when you really don't want your husband to die. The thought is just too revolting. But he made sure that I got it...it was ok and he really wanted me to move on. I did.

To make up for their little blunder, we began going to the Chart House to make a new memory. Now it has become a fabulous tradition to eat amazingly expensive seafood with a too die for view and hot lava chocolate cake with Heath Bar sprinkles. We enjoy each other's company. Sometimes we share our exciting lives and other times we are fuming over our trials, but it is a day to look forward to instead of dread.

Here's to many more happy memories Stacey. You always will be my widow buddy. Life keeps getting tougher for both of us, but we are tough cookies and we have great taste!

1 comment:

Afton said...

I am so glad you have good friends to make good memories with you. You are one of the strongest people I know (and I don't mean lifting two 50 lb bags).