Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Diet Coke...the Mormon Housewife Addiction


When I lived in Utah, I did quite a bit of interior design work. Yes, I had a JOB! It was an awesome job. Let's just say that in the past few years since moving to Oregon, I have not been able to use my ability. The wind got sucked out of my sails so to speak. Not only did I not get many offers to stage homes or help with remodels, but I shunned it. Who wants to be reminded of something they can't have? Not me. One of the last homes that I was consulting on was going to be in Utah's Parade of Homes. And in the butlers pantry, we were going to add a built in Diet Coke machine...Yep! Diet Coke on tap 24/7. I don't know one woman that doesn't drink Diet Coke and live in Utah.

Diet Coke and I don't get along. Shhh, don't tell. I don't do diet. If it didn't exist before 1900, I wont consume it. Call me picky, call me a nature nut, I just don't like consuming chemicals. So this leaves me with a choice to consume very expensive soda like Jones or drink water. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke, but it does not like me. Corn syrup and me are not friends. So what to do. Well I went to a company party where everyone was drinking but Patrick and I and a bottle of water just didn't cut it. So I took a Perrier. I'm hooked! Tastes great, no calories or anything else and I look cool! It's all about the cool...can you just see me? "I'd like a Perrier, waiter...." HeHe!

5 comments:

Erika said...

Well, you now know a girl in Utah who doesn't (and never will) drink Diet Coke! I don't see why it is such an addiction for so many people in the church, especially with the word of wisdom--don't people get it? Caffeine is a drug. People go through withdrawals when they don't have their caffeine and quickly need a fix. I'm a firm believer that this is not healthy for our bodies and goes against the word of wisdom even though many people disagree. I've always wanted to try Perrier but tried club soda once and didn't like it so I just assumed I wouldn't like Perrier. I think I'll broaden my horizons and try one sometime. I love carbonation--sometimes you just need that zing!!

Afton said...

Perrier was a surprise for me the first time I tasted it. So bubbly it almost seems to evaporate in my mouth, kind of. It took me a while to get used to it. I am actually quite fond of San Pelligrino too. I don't know what the price difference is. I almost like San P. better. It's Itallian...might win points with Patrick...like you need any points Emily!

Afton said...

I wanted to add that I'm reading a book called "The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate." It's a cute juvenile fiction with a strong, spunky girl (the only daughter in a family of 8) set in TX in 1899. Anyway, Calpurnia's mom is known to take Lydia Pinkham's Vegetable Tonic for Ladies. I was curious and did a little research to find out exactly what this stuff was. As I suspected, it was 18% alcohol, but actually had some herbs that were supposed to help for "female problems." Basically, no one questioned women who were downing the stuff because "female problems" were such a taboo and men didn't want to have that conversation. I saw an interesting correlation to Lydia Pinkham's Tonic and the Mormon habit of Coke/Pepsi etc. Basically both are watered down drugs that is socially acceptable, but that gets abused.

I found that Lydia Pinkham's Vegetable Tonic for Women is still manufactured and sold today, but with out the alcohol. It's at Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid as Lydia Pinkham's Herbal compound.

Emily said...

I love the San Pelligrino too! I like their soda you can get a Costco...the lemon and orange. It has no caffeine or corn syrup. Caffeine gives me migraines! Erika, you have restored hope that not everyone in Utah drinks Diet Coke. It's pretty sad when people talk about it as a need. Speaking from experience, when you need something to get through the day, that is an addiction, whether it is alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, porn, or Diet Coke! I distinctly remember a lesson in Relief Society and it had to do with the fact that the lady could give everything up, but not diet coke. She even had one at Relief Society and all the ladies were begging her to give it to them....so bizarre. Afton, I love that story! So true. Again, if something becomes a need to "take away" or "solve" something I will run the other way!

Jadie said...

You ALWAYS look cool, Em. ;)