Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Last Day of NaBloPoMo...Artsy Fartsy

I am livid.  Well, as livid as I can get which is more like a whine for most people.  Why you may ask?  Well some nut job woman at a school meeting tonight suggested doing away with music and PE to meet the budget cuts for next year.  Gratefully, this is not in the proposed budget plan...crazy woman!  In my mind I reached out and "touched" her right upside her snobby little head.  Take away the arts?  OVER MY DEAD BODY!!  We live in a very blessed school district where my kids get choices and can be anything they want to be.  My son can take guitar in middle school and website design.  My daughter can take french and drama.  We moved here for the well rounded education of our children.  And when you have 5 children, we bound to have varying interests at play.  I'm sure that we will be seeing every corner and aspect of this district the longer we stay here...no we are not moving...never!!!

This whole experience made me realize just how important the arts are to my family.  I don't think I could live without them.  I might not be an accomplished musician or painter but I dabble at quite a bit.  I think this has fostered an eagerness in my own children to explore their artistic side.  I'm forever yelling at my kids to give back my scissors (never mind that there are at least 15 pair floating around at any given moment) or ask someone for the tape dispenser.  My colored pencils spend more time in every room in my home than my on my desk.  My jewelry parts become play things.  Paper, glue, Mod Podge are staples in our house and I buy gluesticks in the 24 pack a couple of times a year in addition to the school season.  That is just the way it is.  The piano is being played daily.  Music is on almost always. We sing in the car, at church, at home, when we clean, and dancing...well that is almost a no brainer.  I have painters, and constructors, and composers in my home.  I have performing artists, material artists, and artists with the written word.  No one is left out.  In fact, the older kids are making all of the presents for their siblings this year.  We have knitted caps, puzzles, fashion accessories, jewelery, bags, go-carts, remote control boats, and I got a full floral arrangement made out of origami placed on my computer tonight.  I am one lucky lady!

Tonight, after I came home from this meeting, I noticed my daughter working on something while watching Glee.  She was making a mini nativity for her little brother.  He seems to be fascinated by baby Jesus at the moment.  And I am grateful that if she chooses, she can take a ceramics class when she gets to high school.  Because we live in a great district where they believe a child learns just as much from the arts as from history, science, english, and math.

4 comments:

Afton said...

Our school is an Arts Focused school and so when another school was built that took away some of our enrollment, we lost one of the weekly "specials" and it came down to art or technology. All the kids from 1st grade to 5th had a weekly technology class where they learned how to use Macs. When I got my Mac, Ethan filled me in on all kinds of details I didn't even know. It was great. But art won out and the fabulous technology teacher was sent to another school to be a librarian. It was a terrible choice to make because I think both things are so needed. I wish we could have kept them both.

Erika said...

I so agree with you Emily. Our houses sound identical! I am so so grateful for the schools here in Virginia Beach. They have some of the best ratings for very good reasons. There are so many options for kids here and the teachers are so involved. Sounds very similar to your schools. Utah didn't offer jack for my kids! They have already been exposed to so many wonderful things here. Gwen is in the process of applying and auditioning for a performing arts school for high school next year for violin. It is FREE and so awesome! I am so thankful for these programs that are provided for our children!! I can't wait to see them dabble and explore and see what they become!

Emily said...

I would have to agree with you on Utah and Jack! It's one of the main reasons we moved out of Utah. I couldn't stand the educational system in general. I had all my kids enrolled in Challenger before we moved. I just couldn't handle the lax curricula. It's a little more work for me, but so worth it. My daughter has expressed an interest in Orchestra. Should I rent a violin for her (she plays the piano, but I don't think it's her "thing")?

Erika said...

I would rent to start and see how she does. If it ends up being something she will stick with, then you can look into finding a good one to buy. Piano is awesome, but strings rock.