Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fear...

Yesterday, I was hailed by a neighbor to stop. Cringing, I expected to hear that my kids had destroyed something or that my dog was harrassing their dog. But I recieved even scarier news than that. A cougar had been spotted on his property trying to kill his dog! My children's bus stop is on his property! The cougar was out at 7:15 in the morning, the exact time my kids get on the bus. Needless to say I was a little unnerved. It gets better...our dog has been missing since friday morning...Roman, not Wilson. A cougar can kill a horse, cow, elk, a dog, a small curly headed child!

So now this gun hating democrat is going to learn how to load a shotgun today incase she needs to blow the hind quarters of a cougar off to save her child, or goat or whatever....

PS...my kids are driven to the bus stop in the morning by their father or me now...it's a 15 minute walk through forest to get to their stop! Too many risks for me. I might be picking them up too...

3 comments:

Afton said...

Can you arm your kids with pepper spray at the bus stop or something? (would pepper spray even stop a cougar?) Yikes! We have coyotes that have been roaming the neighborhood eating cats and I even saw one behind our house a couple weeks ago, but a cougar? I'll take the coyotes, thank you.

Rachel said...

Yikes! I guess that is certainly one down side to living out in the boonies. I'll bring that up the next time my husband starts lobbying for the quiet country life.

Sue said...

I expect a picture of Emily armed to the teeth defending her brood after your new skill is in place. I can see it all now. Driving the kidlets to the bus seems a wise interim move! Like maybe for the next 10 years:) Mom