Monday, December 27, 2010

A Piece of History


My Great Grandmother Anne Yates Westhoff came from England in 1919.  She was a hat maker for what was once Meier and Frank in Downtown Portland.  She must have passed on her creative genes to me because I just can get enough of all things related to ornamentation with accessories.
My aunts presented me with a few gifts this Christmas that I absolutely love!  These bracelets are made with my great grandmother's jewelry.  These beads are not plastic, but glass!  And the crystals on the pink bracelet are part of a crystal earring that I remember her wearing.  I have several memories of my great grandmother even though she died when I was 8.  By the end, she was blind but had the most amazing sense of style and the most gorgeous, fine, white hair that always looked lovely to me.  This kind of repurposing is priceless and will be passed on to my girls as a connection to the past and a part of who they are.  


1 comment:

Afton said...

Beautiful! What a treasure.