Monday, December 27, 2010

Repurpose....really?

Back in the olden days...yes, that is how I used to say it in the 4th grade, little grannies and young ladies would gather around the quilting circle and construct quilts of impeccable quality from scraps.  It is amazing and deserving of respect and admiration.  I did not make this quilt from my bag of goodies but rather spent an unholy amount of money on new fabric.  The flannel alone on the back was steep for all the yardage a king size quilt needs.  I didn't do something difficult because I know my limits of time and knowledge of quilting, but for a first attempt, I think it turned out fine.  As for the repurposing part, hidden in the deep recesses of this quilt is a high end gem.  Below the batting is another king size blanket that was made with cotton batting and real silk.  If any of you know silk, you know that it is very fragile.  This gorgeous blanket lasted 5 years with plenty of washings and use.  In the end, it was horribly thread bare, but rather than throw it away, it became an extra layer of warmth for my husband that requested a "weighty" blanket.  Merry Christmas Patrick.

No comments: