After spending almost 600 dollars on propane to heat our home this month and 3 bouts without heat, I have decided that having a smaller home with less windows is a bonus! I'm being enviromental right?! Of course our electricity bill could be slightly higher due to the reduction in natural light, but I think we can handle the extra few dollars. We will have a fridge that is ours and that doesn't leak delivered on Saturday. Sometimes I really love that I am a designer. We got a fridge only...no freezer and when we redesign the kitchen in a few years, then all I have to do is buy a trim kit and the freezer side and I can have a full size freezer and fridge that looks like a Sub Zero set but for 1/20th the price. Yeah for me! Living on less can be a bonus.
Another deduction to our household is our dog, Wilson. He has been the most expensive animal both of us has ever owned. Even if he didn't cause 2 trips to the ER for Patrick, I bet we've spent over 10,000 dollars on training, electric fences, collars, vet bills etc. And of course the ER visits were another 11,000 for the tipped over ladder that caused several broken ribs for Patrick and then in Utah the 2 almost severed fingers from the leash incident. We love our dog....but he is going to live with the neighbors instead. He has a girlfriend down the road, and they visit often. Her parents love Wilson and they approached us about taking him. We agreed after much thought and prayer. He will be spoiled rotten with new parents that are retired and have a 5 acre fenced parcel in addition to their own 100 acre vineyard in Yamhill. He'll be happier than in our little fenced yard for sure, but we will miss him. Our cats are coming with us.
Funny thing is, the house we are moving into is really the same size as the one we are currently living in but it is configured better for our family. The dining room set is coming back in as well as the living room furniture. We have 5 bedrooms, that are small but all have walk in closets. The master has 2 walk-in closets, so one of them will become my office...my husband says ours, but who are we kidding? He works in every room in the house. He doesn't need a desk.
So I should be packing, but instead I am writing this blog, while the house warms up to 65 degrees (we turned the heat off the last 4 days to conserve gas and 50 degrees is stinking cold) so I can pack the kitchen. I am so grateful for the chance to own a home again. It's exciting to put my skills to use again and I feel on top of the world.
What I am really trying to say is, 6700 square feet of space is just too DARN MUCH! I'll take my small 2300 square foot house and love it. Because it means, living below our means, paying off our debts, and being wise stewards with what we have. Just you watch me...I will make it shine in a few months and then, sparkle in a few years! Can't wait!
2 comments:
All that closet space sounds like heaven! That's one of the things I miss the most I think.
Have you ever watched that show "18 Kids and Counting"? They lived in a house that was that same size with like 16 kids.... It should be plenty for 5 kids ;) Are you going to post some pics? And by the way, I am totally jealous of your fridge only fridge. That's what I would like!
Post a Comment