Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Thoughts on Packing

Well this will be my last post for a few weeks until we get Internet hooked up again. And I just wanted to document this experience before I forget all the juicy tidbits of knowledge that flow through my brain while sniffing the sharpie marker that I mark the boxes with...
1. I am so grateful for the trials that have prepared me for all these moves. Not only have I done this with toddlers and a sick husband on my own, but pregnant with toddlers on my own. I can't complain about moving anymore, ever! It will never be as hard as that was. So while this move is not a cake walk, it's not the hardest thing for me to do...not a trial at all. I actually like the forced spring cleaning and purging (I hate to say this, but I get this from my mother).
2. Life would be alot easier if I could afford paper plates and cups and take out while we are moving, but alas, it is not meant to be. Meanwhile, we are making due and the kids are getting lots of desserts. All that food storage jello and pudding has come in handy. We have eaten pretty dang great while spending less than $40 dollars on food for the month. My testimony of food storage is alive and well. Of course I have to thank my chickens. Without their yummy eggs everyday, our diet would be a little more bland.
3. I totally get why people only had 2 or 3 sets of clothing in the "olden days". Does my 8 year old really need enough clothing to change twice a day for two weeks and still not have repeats? No! Can you imagine doing all that wash by hand and hanging it dry? I am all for environmentally friendly and am seriously considering line drying my jeans and coats, but really?...yikes!!
4. God answers prayers. Not just the big ones, but seemingly "little" requests like finding a fridge and dryer...He is really saving our backside and then some. He knows what is going on in my life. Even when I complain about all the "sacrifices" I am making, he listens and helps and provides. I've been humbled too many times to count in the last month. He makes a way before us...
5. God knows me better than I know myself. The last two years have been nothing short of Hell on Earth. I know, I shouldn't say that, but we all have our trials and this one has been a doozy for me. Not one major thing, but just accumulation of many things that have bombarded my very being. Now I feel like I am finally reaching a plateau. Not much has changed, but I can "see" a little better and have a better understanding of His hand in my life.
6. Service really can help you through a difficult time. Many times, just having a calling to fulfill, or a dinner to make, or a project to complete for my Kid's school has helped me focus on other things besides what is going on all around me. Despite the fact that my love language is Physical...I really do enjoy showing others I love and care about them by serving them...and it has saved me from melting into a pile of goo.

So thanks all for your love and support. It is helping and I dearly love you all for your friendship and your help. Hopefully this move will prove to bring brighter days ahead and peace in our storm.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Good luck with the move! You inspire me. I can't believe you spent less than $40 on food for the month. That's got to be a miracle for a family your size. I think more of us need to follow your example and make do with what we have and not always be out buying things we really don't need.

Janessa Couch said...

Wow, I am impressed also. I can not even live off of $40 a week, I guess I can, just not sure how. I hope that this move brings great things ahead! I heard you will love your new ward so that is always a plus and she schools there are also great.