Sunday, April 19, 2009
Fixing Sunday Dinner
Pot Roast wafting through the air is a magical scent reserved for Sundays only. It's meaty, oniony aroma is something akin to heaven for me. But when you are trying to use up what you have in order to have one less thing to move, you resort to eating things that you wouldn't normally. This Sunday I did serve Pot Roast and Mashed Potatoes with Sugar Carrots and a green salad. The menu didn't change. However the roast was dry, the potatoes were instant and the carrots had to be salvaged. Sirloin tip roast is not the most flavorful roast (now that I know this I wont buy it even if its less than $2 a pound.) I shredded it and then added a onion soup mix packet with a cup of hot water to the meat, and presto chango...moist flavorful meat. Instant mashed potatoes are nasty. I only eat them when forced. To remedy this assault on my palette (out of regular potatoes and it's Sunday) I added 1/4 cup of sour cream, 1/4 cup of bacon bits and then I put it in a big plastic bag with the corner cut off and piped into little mounds on a cookie sheet. Next, I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top and stuck it under the broiler for 5 minutes. They looked fabulous, the kids loved them, and I tricked my taste buds with a great presentation. The carrots were beginning to sprout. In my attempt to salvage them, I cut up a bunch for lunch for dipping and my sugar carrots ( cut up, boiled, add 2 heaping tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of butter and a 1/2 teaspoon of dill) were reserved for dinner tonight. So there you have it. The salvaged dinner. It was eaten. Mommy tolerated it. I can't wait to move.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We missed you today. The thought of moving is super scary to me--I can't imagine all the packing I would have to do. Good luck!
Post a Comment