Monday, March 30, 2009

Spring...time for a fresh start.

I fell off the band wagon in March. Two weeks I only exercised 4 days a week. And then last week, while I was in Utah, I didn't even put on my New Balance shoes once...I was a slacker! Why did I break this great habit I have had since November? Well most of it had to do with stress and lack of sleep. And the rest, well I just needed a break. And I got one over Spring Break. Every single day I sat in the bathtub for an hour and read. Not only did I finish "Sara" but I also started and finished "The Glass Castle" and "Mary Martha and Me." My mind is full of juicy tid bits and quotes from these great books. I spent any spare moment reading instead of sweating.

Today I jumped on the bandwagon again full force. I have my gym membership for one more month and I plan on taking full advantage of it. So today I tangled with the elliptical. Four minutes into it, I was going 7.4 miles and hour and had a severe case of burning lungs, but I couldn't stop! Why you ask, well I was listening to some pretty serious 80's dance music and I just had to go fast! 20 minutes later, I was still keeping my pace and I hadn't keeled over yet, so I kept going. 43 minutes into it, I looked up to see a "vision" of what I could be like next year if I wasn't careful. You see, in the treadmill in front of me was this "hippie chick" complete with crocheted bag hanging from the side bar, tank top, no bra and unshaven legs...I just couldn't go on! I moved to the treadmill after 2 minutes of enduring her sight. I know, I must be shallow, but I am moving into the "hippie house" next month and I fear that all the peace love and joy of that place will turn me into a hippie. I promise to always shave my legs, wear a bra (gross!!) and listen to 80's dance music! Tomorrow, I will venture out again and try desperately to keep going and I will hide the chocolate chips!

3 comments:

Afton said...

My sister in California is convinced I'm a radical left wing hippie because I voted for a school bond measure and Obama. She feels like Oregon has completely ruined me.

Janessa Couch said...

Ha Ha! There are quite a few hippies at that gym. Good for you for getting back onto the bandwagon. I fell off about three weeks ago and have yet to get back on. I am doing Hood To Coast in a couple of months so I better get on and fast.

Lyon Pride said...

I made it to the gym after a 2 1/2 month hiatus. I hope I'm not too sore tomorrow! I love how we generally bring shoes intending to exercise when we are a way from home and they usually wind up as extra baggage never getting used!