Christian Charles Carter-Laing was born today, 10 years ago. He is a joy to have as a son. God smiled on me when he sent me this child. He was quite a surprise child, being born 14 months after his big sister. Madeline was not an easy baby. When I found out I was pregnant, I was happy, but extremely scared about having two so close together when I could barely handle my Madeline. I remember vividly coming home from the hospital with him and just weeping because I didn't know how I was going to do it. Madeline wasn't sleeping through the night yet, and was extremely high maintenance. Well, Christian proved to be the best baby in the whole wide world! Seriously, I have never heard of a better baby. He was like clockwork that kid. He slept through the night, from 8 to 8 at 6 weeks. He nursed like a pro. He slept all the time and was content. He never cried. He actually would sit still on my lap at church. God smiled on me for sure!
Now he is 10....where did the time go? He loved moons and trains as a toddler and Kevin would take him out to look at the moon and listen to the "choo choo" whenever it passed by. When he threw a fit, which wasn't very often, he would spin around like the cartoon character Tasmanian Devil. He walked at 13 months and loved playing in the sink and in our pool in Sacramento. He wasn't scared of his Daddy when he looked awful after having Chemo. He is an introvert for sure. Not shy, but a deep thinker. He has always been very close to the spirit world. He is tender. We call him our Little GA (general authority). His prayers will leave you speechless. He has always done well in school, but not because of trying, but because the kid is a genius. I don't say this lightly. Madeline is very driven and at the top of her class and things come easy to her, but Christian is a genius. He doesn't think like a normal person. He is an old soul. The things that entertain his mind are things like world peace, generating clean energy, the systems of the body, etc... This kid just floors me on a consistent basis. His creativity will either breed him for Engineering or a Doctor of some sort. Although his "absentminded professor" ways get him into trouble frequently, he is learning that turning in his homework is important. He isn't concerned with being number one. He isn't competitive. He is a natural at music. He is already composing his own music. He has like 4 invention notebooks floating around. He loves to draw and create. He is socially ok too...not a bizarre nerd, but just a normal kid in that way. He will be attempting Football in the fall. Patrick says that he is a good basketball player and he got his own hoop for Christmas. Soccer was a futile attempt to get that kid to run. He didn't see the point, but was an amazing goalie. He has a good arm and plays football during recess, so we are letting him try it this year. But I worry that he isn't going to be able to handle the intense practices and getting hurt...we shall see. He might surprise us.
He is going through a Long Hair phase right now. He is a very laid back child and I can only think of one thing that he does that annoys me, he is slow as tar. He doesn't have the ability to do anything in a quick manner. He is too busy analyzing and storing all the information in his head to worry about time! Oh, and he has no tact. He just says what is on his mind and needs to learn how to censor himself sometimes. That will come with maturity. But at least he is honest. I don't think he could lie if he wanted to.
The best thing about Christian is his ability to love. He pops out of bed in the morning just to get to my bed first. He knows I will let him come lay with me and snuggle for a few minutes if he gets dressed quick. His love language is physical. We actually have to reprimand him because he tries to hug us while we are eating, talking, etc...he is learning that some people don't like to be touched and that he must ask permission to hug certain people. It seems so foreign to him. I completely understand this, because Physical is my love language. It feeds his soul to be held. He is learning. He is also a service giver. His greatest persute in life is world peace...I am completely serious. This kid is going to go places.
We love this "little man" (that was his nick name when he was young because he was so mature..an old soul) who has turned into "big brain boy" with his astounding intelligence that is too mature for his 10 year old brain. I often marvel at the fact that God allowed me to be his mother. He is one amazing spirit and I am his biggest fan!
No comments:
Post a Comment