
We have two creeks on our property. The sound is extremely soothing, especially in the spring when they are flowing full force. On one of the creek paths, there used to be a pond. Unfortunately, they last tenant bulldozed the damn and now we have more of a wetland area. At night, the sound of the frogs are deafening! These creeks are teaming with creatures. On my kids walk home, they discovered a few dead creatures along the road. Surprisingly, they found a live one next to these deceased family members. They hurried home and showed me this little salamander like thing. He was cute for sure. Next came the hundreds of questions that Mom's are supposed to somehow magically know. I had no clue what this thing was or if they could keep it or what it ate. So in desperation I told them to google the thing. Sure enough, they discovered what it was and what it ate and it's habitat. They set up a swimming pool for the guy and a tunnel and a little house in a plastic shoe box.
Christian dug for earthworms and centipedes for this little newt to eat. My bathroom is trashed with mud. But I could care less. These kids just learned some very valuable lessons about the Internet, their habitat, used their problem solving skills and were extremely compassionate. It's moments like these that you overlook the mud, and look into their sweet faces filled with wonder and excitement and realize that this is what it is all about. My kids are learning....
1 comment:
What a great mom to allow that to become their pet. I would be the one freaking out if my girls brought that home, guess I need to toughen up.
Post a Comment