Friday, September 12, 2008

Today is my birthday!

Happy Birthday to Me!
I'm not 33!
or 34...but 35!

So I fear that I am not "old" yet. I still have no desire to get anything lifted, sucked, botoxed, massaged, enlarged, or enhanced. My husband, actually prefers me natural, no make up...thanks to my parents for giving me fabulous skin. I don't have wrinkles yet, so maybe aging really hasn't set in. Pregnancy is the only thing that makes me feel like an old woman and we all know that I am not doin' that again. The "womb" is closed.

So for this year I am trying to work on organization. Learning how to stick a 6 bedroom house into a 3 bedroom house requires skills that, so far, I have yet to master. I have this cool label maker that I have become obsessed with. I am going to try to be better about reading my scriptures alone...we have the family one down...but yeah well...I will give it my best effort.

Reflecting on the last year...I have learned so many things. Haven't you all figured out that trials make us grow so much more than ease. I have. Learning to put full faith and trust in my husband...scares the pants off of me...but I didn't kill him or leave him and I lived through it. Getting back to the basics...I refined my gardening skills, my animal tending skills, my canning and preserving skills. I learned about the important things like family closeness (living in a hotel for 7 weeks sure does that to a person). I also learned that I could give a crap (not a bad word in my house) about the "Jone's" and keeping up with them is a waste of time and money. The grass that looks greener; it's spray painted! Not real at all! I learned that I would rather eat dinner at the same time every night at our table, than eat in the car waiting for someone to get out of dance or soccer or whatever...what I cook is always 10 times better than McDonalds. I learned that nature is a gift and it has healing properties that can restore the soul. God can dwell there.

Have a happy day everyone.

7 comments:

Erika said...

Hey, you don't know me, but happy birthday! I saw you on Afton's blog, and just wanted to say that I love this post! And I am so intrigued about how you ended up on a farm after having your gorgeous house in Utah. My husband's dream is to someday have an apple orchard somewhere and just live the simple life--kind of like what you're doing. I admire you guys. I think your house and land is so cool! Oh, and your cute little boy with the curly hair-oh my goodness! He is the cutest thing, and when I see the picture of him smiling by the box of apples it makes me smile! What a cutie. Anyway, hope you don't think I'm weird-just had to say hi and let you know I enjoy your blog.
-Erika www.erikaandryan.blogspot.com

Afton said...

Happy, happy birthday. You inspire me in so many ways. Love what you say about the Joneses. True, true. Make up is so over-rated.

Aimee Jager said...

Happy Birthday Em! I hope you had a great day! It was fun to see Patrick the other day...just with you were here with him! Please come to town next time he's here....I'd love to do dinner or something! So 35 eh? You don't look a day over 20!!!! Love you!

Très Sucré said...

Happy Birthday!!!! If you were here I would have brought you a big tray of yummy stuff! I'll have to remember that I owe you some goodies next time you come to visit. And AMEN to everything else you said. I know my experience with my hubby doesn't really compare to what you went through with Kevin, but it really has opened our eyes to what is really important. Pretty sad that it takes something so drastic to make me realize that... I'm stubborn. Trying not to pass that on to my kids, but so far, not succeeding! Happy birthday and tell your family hi for us.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry I had to be lame and get sick and miss it! I love your posts. Your wisdom amd meditations are overwhelmingly mature for a 35 year old. I'm glad we are getting to know each other. I know I have a lot to learn from you. Oh and you don't have to worry about keeping up with the Joneses, because honey...you are the Joneses!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily. We are dreadfully late in getting to read this and respond but I loved your birthday post and we love you too. Hope yours was full of sparkling joy on your Ole MacDonald's farm. Love ya, Dr Mom

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

I'm so glad I could be with you on you birthday. It was so fun to "do lunch" and play on the river. You are an amazing, patient, loving, FAITHFUL, inspiring person. You uplift and inspire me daily. Thank you for being you and being there for me. You are a gift to those who know you, you children especially.