Sunday, September 21, 2008
Not of the World
As I sat in Young Women's in Church today, I realized just how different we really are from the world in General. We have an exchange student from Russia who attends regularly. She is 16 and very worldly. As we were discussing the lesson of Marriage Standards and Dating Decisions, she so eloquently asked"What if we don't want to get married or have kids? I am happy just the way I am and plan on staying that way." Luckily, I wasn't teaching the lesson. In my own little world I sometimes forget that we really are different. Marriage and family are not the ultimate goal for many people. Here are these young women facing the world head on and a large majority of their peers, think they are crazy. Crazy for their values, morals, goals that they choose to attain and maintain. Then we talked about guys and how society sometimes views women as objects instead of people. Well, that is another blog in itself. It's up to us ladies to show these girls that Motherhood and Marriage are good things and that Society would crumble without strong capable women to nurture and maintain society as we know it. No offense to Men, but most men I know would be nothing if not for the woman at their side. I for one, have two daughters to raise. I want them to be respected and cherished for the confident women they will become. I want them to know that Motherhood, meaning the nurturing of any child, is hard and challenging, but rewarding and fulfilling. May we all take the time to love our daughters, nieces, friends, mothers, aunts, and ourselves just a little bit more. We are so precious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Amen!
The thing I'm having a hard time with (sorry, I got stuff on my mind) is that our values, our way of life, what we cherish and hold dear, is mocked and we are mocked because of how we believe. We are stupid and close minded and ignorants who cling to guns and ...well, you know the rest.
Anyway, I struggle with how I would present my beliefs in a way that would be a logical argument to those who say "of course teens are going to have sex and why shouldn't they? We need to give them the tools to be safe." Or, "Why should a child be parentless if there are two loving people who want to give it a loving home who just happen to both be men/women?"
Some of these arguments for living an undisciplined life are so slick and so confusing. I find myself thinking, "well, that is a shame that two men could buy a house together but one could lose it when the other one dies."
I guess what I'm saying is that these arguments make me feel cold hearted for believing the way that I do and I've spent the last week or two trying to understand what makes my beliefs good, and not just because Heavenly Father said so. You know what I'm saying?
I'm reading/listening to 3rd Nephi this morning and the wicked people actually wanted to KILL those who believed in the sign of Christ's coming. I always thought that was such a silly thing. Why should they care what other people believed in. How could that be a threat to them? How come they would be convinced that killing believers would be necessary or a good idea even?
I'm starting to understand that feeling though, a little more than I did a few years ago.
Maybe I need to get myself a farm.
Maybe I need to stop making long comments and just blog about it. :)
Afton, amen to everything you just said. Are we sisters? I think about these things too much for my own good. Got a doozer of a headache just thinking about it all yesterday.
Post a Comment