Friday, September 19, 2008

Politics and Helaman

My new goal for the year is coming along swimmingly. Reading my scriptures everyday used to be easy..I have read them several times straight thru. Then I get bored, and remember all the stories and names and my scriptures are marked. Then I turn to Hugh Nibley or some other extra resource to help me delve a little deeper. Now, I hate to admit, that I can't remember everything anymore. Roman tore apart my beloved white set of scriptures. So now it is me with a colored pencil and an unmarked book. Helaman sounded like a good starting point (My family is currently on one of the last chapters of 2nd Nephi). It struck me today as I was reading that Helaman 7 sounds alot like the current state of affairs. I think I said DUH! about 20 times while I was reading it. I know most of you probably aren't reading my blog for current affairs or to discuss politics, but talk about a type and shadow of things to come. Does anyone out there feel like our country is in the crapper or is it just little old me? By the way...I think both presidential hopefuls are worthless...just my opinion, but hey, it's my blog right? Anyone care to comment? Or am I the only political junkie out there?

10 comments:

Afton said...

Country in the crapper, check. Candidates worthless, kind of. I personally don't believe a word out of any of their mouths. I find their politicking of every issue maddening and it only separates them farther from what I think a real person should be like. They speak in sound bytes (or maybe that is because I'm only watching 10 seconds here, 20 seconds there on the news. Also, it probably doesn't help that I get a lot of my political news from The Colbert Report.

This is really the first presidential election where I have not known who to vote for. Lesser of two evils does not even cover it. Not that they are evil. I just think they are twisting the truth to fit their needs and to smear the other person. I think it has become impossible for candidates not to "play that way" though.

Here is what I wish. I wish someone would stand up and say, "Here is what I will do. 1. I will fix the war by... 2. I will fix the economy by... 3. I will lessen our dependence on foreign oil by... 4. I will make sure that teachers are paid more and doctors paid less. 5. I will...etc.

Just go right down the line. It should take about 10-15 minutes. No crappy sound bytes, no slamming the other guy, no saying what he won't do." Just give it to me straight and don't waste my time. I have 3 kids to feed and the house is a mess.

Oh, and there can be NO clapping every 12th word.

Yes, I totally agree with the Helaman thing. I keep looking at the bottom of the page where it says how many years until Christ comes and think, oh man, hurry up! How much worse can it get?

We had an interesting scripture study at Jeanne Hansen's house (she does it every wednesday) and someone read 9 signs of the downfall of a society (written by a super smart professor or something) and I swear the first 8 were alarmingly accurate to our society today. I can't remember what the 9th one was, but we weren't quite there yet although it was easy to see that it would not be long.

Now, the salsa. Give me your e-mail and I will send you the recipe. I have it already typed out and can forward it to you quickly before the tomatoes go bad. 6 pounds makes six pints.

Erika said...

I need to go read Helaman 7. Amen to what you said! The world is going to pot and I really don't think it's going to get much better no matter who we get as president. I keep thinking of this timeline we got in Sunday School a couple years ago that I kept because I thought it was so interesting. It's a timeline from the restoration of the gospel all the way to when the earth will finally be celestialized after all the wars, battles, the millenium, etc. It shows how there will be a third world war, then internal wars that will cause the collapse of our government, and then there will be universal conflict and the nations of Europe will collapse. It also talks about things that will happen in the church during this time--how missionaries will be called home, saints in foreign lands will gather to the U.S., saints will gather in the tops of the mountains and will return to Jackson County, Missouri, etc. SO INTERESTING! Well the way everything's going, we're definitely on the right track to what is supposed to happen in the future, and I just hope I can prepare my kids enough for what they and their families, and all of us will have to deal with in the future.

Loralee and the gang... said...

(Since I am Josh’s sister, you can take my comments here for what they’re worth - haha). I am not really a political junkie either, but I do watch what's going on, and there sure is not a lot to like. I didn't think much of John McCain until he picked Sarah Palin as his running mate. I think that she flicked a light on within his campaign that was sorely needed, and I value her experience as a Mayor, a Governor, and especially as a mother. We need that kind of common sense in Washington D.C.
However, who can trust any politician - it seems like dishonesty and deceit are part of the job description. I just have to think about what is most important to this country. It is our families, and the values that keep our unborn children safe and our families intact. I know that the Republican party and most of the candidates within it believe that abortion is wrong, and that gay marriage is not in accordance with our Heavenly Father’s plan. family. These core beliefs and the family that is the core of our nation can't be further undermined. Democrats certainly tend towards allowing same-sex marriages, and pro-choice is their platform. And did Obama vote against a bill that would protect the life of a baby who survived an abortion? If there is any validity to that claim, what kind of ugly soul does he have? So, for me, the choice here is easy. Go McCain/Palin!

Emily said...

Ok, I get the whole Sarah Palin thing. She did give me hope. Obama is too Liberal for my liking, but McCain cheated on his wife...not too family oriented in my book. Abortion, well I can't argue with you there, but it is not getting repealed anytime soon. Marriage...I am for rights...but agree that the legality is a slippery slope...Where is my moderate? Afton, I completely agree with you. I want answers not just a good speech with lots of clapping! LOL! The economy is making my life horrible right now. When are we going to get out of Iraq? Don't they understand how the Middle East runs? Hasn't there been war waged there for thousands of years...they can't get along. The school thing...don't get me started. We did private school in Utah. Ever read the book about The Dumbing Down of America? Not a bush fan at all, not a fan of McCain, enjoy Sarah's spunk, think Obama is a great speech giver and that is about it...where is our substance people? I guess I will just succumb to the will of the Oregonians and in the meantime work my garden and build up my food storage and listen to conference. I need divine direction on this one people, can you tell!

Anonymous said...

Amen re Palin. Double amen re Helaman! I can't figur out wht my google identity is so I guess I am anonymous!
DrMom

Loralee and the gang... said...

I completely agree with you on the school thing - we homeschool our kids after 6th grade, and I think that the only way to make them better is to give us choice in the matter (McCain's position) And I agree, McCain did a horrible thing by cheating on his first wife. But he has gone on since since that time 25 or more years ago to raise (what appears to be; I'm still a cynic) a fine family. Just because abortion won't be repealed any time soon is no reason to vote FOR it, and your commment about succummbing to the will of the (liberal) Oregonians, well that just scares me. What is the quote? Something like: Evil will prevail when good men do nothing? From reading your blog, I think you are great and have an awesome fammily. Remember your core values! And I hope that you won't think I am horribly opionated about everything. I'm not. Just passionate about our country and our values.
Loralee

Emily said...

Thanks for all your comments. I guess people out there do care. Let's all remember that Republicans and Democrats can both be great Mormons. I went and picked a bucket of blackberries and pondered. I feel much better now. I am going to wait till the very end to see how this one runs it's course. In the end, I appreciate that people actually think about this. I am surrounded by too many people that don't want to talk about it. Someone has to. In the meantime, I am going to go read the scriptures for some inspiration, and thank my HF for the Farm that calms me almost instantaneously. Let's all hold hands and sing!

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

I agree with a recent comment about the election process. I wish it was like the olympics, two weeks around the clock with a grand opening and closing ceremony. I'm sick of all the mud slinging and tend to shut down after the first 2 minutes of contention. I have enough strife in my life without having to turn it on or read about it. Contention is of the devil. Shut the hell up! Tell me what makes YOU the better choice and sit down.

Palin is a breath of fresh air. A seriously strong women in the boys club. You go girl!!

I will just encourage everyone to vote and stand for this amazing country we are blessed to live in.

Rachel said...

I am with Stacey on the fact that I tend to get less involved than I should be with politics because of the contention. I want to have discussions, not arguments and it is hard to find those willing to have that. Currently I am disenchanted by both candidates and as far as Palin goes, I'm up in the air. I think she's got spunk, I think she's qualified, but for heaven's sake, she is the mother of five and one of them is a down syndrome infant. I am the mother of four, and unless I got jipped in the category of ability to run a country and manage a household at the same time, I don't know how the heck she's going to do it. Something's gotta give. As an American, I'd rather she give her attention to running the country, but I'm guessing her son would rather she give her attention to him (not to mention her husband, her other kids and her soon to be grandchild). Yes, I know there is a double standard, it's not fair, blah, blah ,blah, but it's like you said in your "Not of the World" post...there is so much joy, happiness and fulfillment from ruling the country that lies within the walls of our own home. AS a member of the church and an Amercian, I would almost rather stand up for that point, than for merely the fact that she is a woman. But then again maybe she does have super powers and if that is the case...VOTE McCain/Palin! (Since super powers is what it's going to take to fix this country).

Marah said...

Political offices should go to people who aren't actually politicians and who don't want to campaign for office, and then we would see some common sense.

The late President Hinckley was such an optimist, and I always take such comfort in his uplifting words, that though much is bad, there is much that is good. Our country has got some very serious problems, but to keep me from getting too depressed about it, I think of other countries and see that we still have it good, compared....