Friday, November 14, 2008

Kevin's Coming Home Day



It has been 8 years since the death of my first husband Kevin. I thought I would honor him today with a post of all the wonderful things I remember about him. Everyone knows how he died and how painful it was, so I would like to focus on the positive things about him...
1. He was a great piano player! He wrote his own music and played quite well. One of the reasons we have a piano is because of him. My children are very musical. Christian has perfect form and Brighten has his hands.
2. He was a canary! He had a great voice and was a perfectionist about it. He was a member of the men's choir at BYU. He was a great choir director.
3. He did the best monkey impression I have ever seen! He has the longest arms ever! He could always make me laugh with that one!
4. He was an awesome strategist. The guy should have been in the military! He found such joy in strategic computer games. They were his favorite.
5. He was just as funny as his Dad. The Carter men have some kind of humor gene I believe. He could always make me laugh!
6. He was a crazy driver! I can remember, he got his mother to the airport from Hillsboro in 20 minutes! It sometimes takes an hour. He could weave in and out of traffic better than a Nascar driver!
7. He was a voracious reader. He read big heady books like The Creator and Jesus the Christ. He had an appetite for non fiction that could rival my own addiction. The last Book he read was Earth: In The Beginning.
8. He was Mr. Smarty pants. I still have all of his Lab notes from Intel and I can't make them out! His handwriting is incredible, I just don't understand a word he said!!
9. He loved his family. He was always concerned about his relationship to his brother and sisters. He was very patient and loving towards his parents and was always there to lend a hand. Way to be of service!
10. He loved being a Dad. He would sit and watch them at play for hours and I found him just rocking Christian for what seemed like hours, before he left us. It was his greatest accomplishment.

Hope you all have great memories of him on this day. He is busy and with us always.

4 comments:

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

I'm crying!! What a guy! You two just adored each other. I remember the last time I spoke to him, the day you moved from Hillsboro to Sacramento, he said, "Emily will always be your friend. She keeps her friends forever." He was right ... again.

Melissa said...

Thank you for the memories...since I never was able to meet him it is so sweet to hear your tribute to him. It was good to see tonight, sorry you couldn't stay longer and visit...maybe tomorrow!

Rachel said...

I appreciate this post as I never met him, this was a nice way to learn more about him. I admire your bravery in being able to talk about him. You're a strong woman. Thanks!

Laings on the go said...

Thanks for this post. It is good to get a little acquainted with Kevin. BTW congrats on your YW calling. The girls will love you.