Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Stranger

My daily routine is filled with car trips back and forth to the Twin T's as I like to call them.  Tigard and Tualatin are my town neighbors.  They contain all of my favorite shopping spots like Goodwill, Value Village, Whole Foods, Costco, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and WinCo.  And, both of my daughters attend ballet and gymnastics in these towns.  I am going back and forth at least twice a day.  They all know me...I'm the crazy broad with the Christian Rock blaring so loud that even with the windows up, people stop and stare.  :)

But this post isn't about my shopping prowess, it's about a guy I see on a regular basis when I am in the car.  This man is always around, rain or shine, day or night.  He is a fixture in our town.  In fact, I am sure that many people know him on a first name basis.  I do not, but he has changed my life.  Everytime I see him, I slow down a little.  I forget about my breakneck pace.  See, this man has a mental disability.  More often than not, he is not riding his bike but sitting on the seat and pushing it along with his feet on the pavement like a preschooler that hasn't mastered the mechanics of the pedals yet.  Attached to the front of his bike, is a large red recycling box that holds his many treasures.  He is out in the rain without proper attire and can rarely be seen with not a reflector in sight.  Many people offer to get him a headlamp and a better coat.  He is wearing crocs and socks while it pours inches of the wet stuff.  And he is there every day. 

He is important.  He makes people think.  I cannot pass him without realizing how blessed I am that I have a car to drive, that my kids are healthy, and that I am of a sound mind.  But he is more than that to me.  Whenever I see him, I see him as a very important child of God.  He serves a great purpose.  He makes everyone stop and think.  We all have become accustom to watching out for him.  We go slower.  We look around corners.  We stop longer for him to pass.  No horns get honked.  Everyone becomes a little more polite. See, our town is one of affluence.  And I believe this man is here to keep us grounded.  I know he does this for me.

Which leads me to believe that everyone one this planet is of great importance.  This man has changed me without even knowing it. God knows it.  And God knows me.  I hope that I am just as valiant in my mission here as this simple man.  I could learn a little thing or two from him.  I'm sure he doesn't start his day thinking about who he is going to effect that day and if he is going to be at the right place at the right time.  He simply is.  I think too much.  I often find myself trying so hard to figure out what He wants me to do and who He would like me to help.  I get impatient when I can't see the direction something is going.  I wonder if I am doing it wrong or if I didn't do enough to help someone or talk to the right person.  The list of what if's is endless.  The whole problem, is I am trying to be the instrument and the player at the same time.  This man is the instrument.  God is his player.....  His music is beautiful, simple, and soul searching.  So to the stranger on the side of the road, thank you.  Your music is heavenly to me.

3 comments:

Afton said...

I really love this.

Nikki said...

Wow! That was beautiful. I love hearing gratitude.
I also appreciated your post about running. I don't have asthma or anything, but I hate to run and have conquered my hatred. I'll blog about it sometime, too. I enjoy popping in on your blog occasionally! Nikki

Emily said...

Thanks Ladies. :)