I was 11. My parents decided to divorce. I came home from Outdoor School to no home. All of the contents of my short life were shoved in a duffle bag. The next 4 months brought lots of time spent in a car, lots of fast food, and sleeping bags on the linoleum floor in the back room of my Grandfathers glass shop. I can't remember where we washed our clothes let alone, take a shower. I cannot begin to explain the loneliness that permeated my soul at that time. I spent hours everyday all alone in the park just waiting for my mother to come "home". I didn't have anywhere to go. I didn't have the church. I got tough. I fought off would be muggers. If I wasn't strong before, I was now. That whole experience changed me. Wonder why I can move every year like its no big deal? Because of this.... Wonder why I can make lemonade out of lemons? It's because of this.... Wonder why I have such a fabulous imagination? You got it! How about being a rockin awesome cook? Enough already....you try eating from Burger King and Plaid Pantry everyday and I guarantee you, you will long for a kitchen to cook in. I grew up fast. And am I a better person for it? You bet. Would I wish it on anyone....not on your life!
Why am I sharing this? Well Japan's earthquake hit too close to home for me. I could place myself in their shoes. I can remember what it's like sleeping on a hard floor and not having a home. When the Tsunami hit in Indonesia, I couldn't relate. I have never lived in a hut, never walked barefoot in a tropical environment, and frankly, it's more third world. Japan, is as close to home as it could possibly be. We have almost the same weather, I live close to the coastal community, and not only does my father and stepmother have a house right on the beach, but so does my mother... I would also hope that in the event that Oregon experienced a natural disaster of this magnitude, that we would be as gracious and orderly as these people in Japan.
It's still hard to see those little children huddled next to their mothers on the gym floor and all the elderly ladies wrapped up in blankets. Equally as moving is to see people who have nothing, offer to share what little they do have. It is during these times that backs are made stronger, that the real purpose of our lives is magnified, and that hope becomes something you can touch. And I can literally see that happening for these gracious people that have survived. Because frankly, it's in the surviving that the true meaning of our lives is found. We are warriors. And I have not laid down my weapons yet....a lady gently kissed me yesterday at church and spoke of my victories....I have many. But I am nowhere near finished. I see many battles yet to be fought. But everyday I make a choice to fight, to continue, and to remember my scars and the blessings they have brought.
Now I have to go and enjoy baking with my 5 little blessings and wipe away these tears....
1 comment:
what a beautiful sentiment. you seem like a wonderful, amazing person. thank you for reminding me how trial makes me strong. like IS a fight, but a good one, worth fighting for...
Post a Comment