Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Spending Time Together

My kids range in age from 4 to 13.  My husband is a white collar professional type.  I am a hippie, to smart for her own good type.  So what can we do together as a family that pleases everyone?  Well of course the only thing out there that all of us want to do is....
Watch American Idol!
Really.  Every single person in my family loves American Idol.  We have been avid fans since season 2.  Patrick and I have been to a Kelly Clarkson concert, a Clay Akin concert, and the American Idol concert from season 3 I believe (Fantasia was the winner that year).  We've winced our way through embarrassing Paula moments.  We've cried during especially touching homecoming scenes.  Our kids sing along with the top ten.  And I remember Ryan Seacrest  pre plastic surgery.  He should have left his eyes alone!  Speaking of plastic surgery...remember Kenny Rogers?  Bad plastic surgery!!  I think Steven Tyler might actually replace the crazy that was Paula and who can resist Jennifer Lopez?  Her voice is just so down to earth.  I love it that she is representing all of us that have a little extra junk in our trunk!  Randy...well he's never been my favorite, but he is a part of the Dog Pound.  I know its all a little cheesy, but people, it's a family show.  How many family shows are left?  I don't have to cover my children's eyes or ears during a song.  Well there was that one time where lady Gaga was on...I don't think there is another show on television that I can let my whole family watch that they actually like.  Patrick falls asleep at any show that has to do with home remodeling.  Most of the cop shows are too violent for me.  I can't let everyone watch Glee because some of my children are human sponges and some of those topics are way to mature to discuss with them yet.  What are we left with?  Reality game shows.  And while the kids might enjoy the human wipeout show, or instant millionaire whatever show, I would literally dig my eyes out with a dull spoon before being subjected to it.  So we watch American Idol.  
Remember Clay Akin?  Blake Lewis?  Jennifer Hudson? Adam Lambert?  Carrie Underwood?  Chris Daughtry...Droooool!!!, Chris Sligh, Lee DeyWyze, Crystal Bowersox, Bo Bice, Jordan Sparks, Taylor Hicks, (ok...David Archuleta, but I didn't get to watch a lot of that season so I can't say that he was memorable), Mandisa, did I miss anyone?
We all love music.  Many a day, I wake up to the piano being played, a song being sung, or the dishes being done to Journey or Styx from Patrick.  It's a part of who we are as a family.  So if you are wondering where we are as a family on Wednesday or Thursdays this year, we will be stuck to the couch until they announce the winner.  

2 comments:

Erika said...

Wow, you've made me want to start watching it again! In the past we have been super big fans also, never missing a show, but for some reason this season we just haven't made time for it. Not enough time in the day to get everything done, let alone watch TV, but after reading about the new judges, I really want to see it now!! And today's Thursday, yippee!

And I TOTALLY agree with you on Kenny Rogers! Can you say clown? It doesn't even look like him. Such a shame!

Emily said...

So last night, I Bawled like a baby at the end. Steven Tyler is just so real and approachable. He was very kind to a contestant and then he was equally kind to his family with a heatbreaking story. It showed his human side that I absolutely loved. There are some great stories this year and it looks like they are real people, not just kids that have been singing gigs all there lives and finally are using AI to get a recording contract. So it should be fun. Their is a kid that is so funny looking...think simply red...and he has an amazing voice. I'm getting excited already!