But this year isn't about Joy for me. My friend Erika picked Flourish for her word and I love that, but it's not my word. I was thinking love, but it's just too vague for this year. So I settled on Trust. I find that I need to trust myself. I need to trust timing. I need to trust my gut. Trust my God. I need to trust that when I get an answer, to not sit there and pick it apart. Part of trusting is being patient with myself, with my circumstance, and my Father in Heaven. I don't have to have all the puzzle pieces put together to know that in the end, there will be a beautiful picture.
(These will be peonies in a few months)
(And these will be Camilias?)
(Birds will nest here)
(And even during winter, there is life blooming!)
Just like winter with it's growth that you can't see, you must trust that there is a need for this time of waiting.
So what is your word?
4 comments:
Absolutely beautiful! My mantra this year is "I got my sandwich." I fixed a sandwich late the other night, and I really wanted a glass of ice-cold milk to go with it, but we were out. But instead of focusing on what I was lacking to make the experience complete (i.e. a glass of milk), I decided to simply enjoy the sandwich for what it was and to be grateful for it in its own right. It made me realize that even though I don't have everything I want in this life at this moment, I can still be actively grateful for the good things I do have. Sure, my sandwich-eating experience would have been better with some cold milk to wash it down, but not having the milk didn't make the sandwich itself taste any less good, and I would have missed the enjoyment it brought if I had (as usual) focused on what I lacked (the glass of milk), rather than what I did have (a tasty, tasty sandwich). So now, whenever I am frustrated by something missing in my life that I really, really want, I try to think of something in my life that I am grateful for, and tell myself, "Well, at least I got my sandwich."
Well I'm glad you got your sandwich. I hope you don't think my life is bleak in anyway. It's not. It's like school. I am going but the rewards are years out. Right now I could go get a job teaching dance to kids and work 4 days a week while my son is in preschool. But instead, I am trusting that all this hard work I am putting in to finish my degree will give me something more than just a job, but a career. I wouldn't get that if I didn't trust in myself to do the work, that a job would be available when I'm done, etc..
No, not bleak at all. I just meant that I, personally, have spent far too long being resentful about what I don't have, instead of being grateful for what I do have. And this is why I remind myself about the sandwich, so that I will be grateful for it instead of taking it for granted while I obsess over the missing milk. I'm trying to learn to be in the moment and enjoy all that "right now" has to offer, instead of living in a future that may or may not look the way I want it to when it arrives. This is my theme for the new year.
Good luck with school!
LAUGH
Post a Comment