Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Political Ideology


I am an anomaly. Very different than most of my friends but I am sticking to my guns ( if I choose to own one, which I don't...Patrick on the other hand is a firearms man.) Lately, I have found myself throwing my hands up in the air with people who are idealistic in their thinking. Have they never had problems or been on the receiving end of anything at all? Maybe I am just not that blessed or maybe they think that everyone that needs help is unworthy of it. Let me make myself crystal clear, I don't believe the crack Ho with 8 kids is any better than myself. Is that graphic enough for you? Freedom to choose right and wrong is something divine. I am proud and blessed to live in a country where my religion can be practiced, where I am not forced to think like the majority, where I can try new things and have someone catch me if I fall. I believe in repentance and I believe in helping everyone. I don't need more money and I don't need more stuff. This has been really frustrating for me to try and explain to people what I think without voices getting out of hand. So in my quest to define my position, I came across these scriptures that sums up what my political ideology is in a nutshell.

Jacob 2:17-21...."Think of your brethren like unto yourselves, and be familiar with all and free with your substance, that they may be rich like unto you. But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God. And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good-to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted. And now, my brethren, I have spoken unto you concerning pride; and those of you which have afflicted your neighbor, and persecuted him because ye were proud in your hearts, of the things which God hath given you, what say ye of it? Do ye not suppose that such things are abominable unto him who created all flesh? And the one being is as precious in his sight as the other. And all flesh is of the dust; and for the selfsame end hath he created them, that they should keep his commandments and glorify him forever."

What does this make me? Socialist, Democrat, Communist, Moderate? I don't know, but I do know that I couldn't have said it any better than Jacob. Just thankful for a God that can help me find my voice when I need to explain why I think the way I think.

3 comments:

Afton said...

I totally agree with this, of course, how could I not seeing as I believe the Book of Mormon is the word of God. And I'm typing this in my meaningful discussion voice. The thing that worries me (and I voted for our current president) is that I don't think people should be forced into equality. At the same time, I see a problem with letting people choose to be charitable, like Jacob says, because the natural man is an enemy to God and has been from the beginning. I think when people are free to choose, some of them will choose the right and some will not. Some will come to know Christ and then, of their own free will, will reach out to their neighbor, will realize they are dust and that all are the same in God's eyes, and serving others will be a choice, right?

But it's a given that people are not always going to choose this. Many will be selfish and prideful and too many will go unhelped.

I don't know that forcing equality is possible. It could work for a while, but I think eventually it will do us more harm than good.

There is so much to fix in this world right now and I don't know how much worse it will have to get before we are blessed with the perfect leader, our Savior.

Ultimately, I think on the scale of freedom vs. equality, I lean more towards freedom.

What I am uncomfortable with, however, is the idea that someone is all wrong or all right and that there are sides and that people have to be "against" each other with their ideology. I don't think hate solves anything. One of my favorite quotes is from a book called "A Thousand Never Evers" and is, "it is easier to hate than to understand."

I think we need more understanding in this country and less hate. But it takes work. I think we need more forgiveness. If that Harvard prof. had said, "I understand a mistake was made and I know people were just trying to be good neighbors and protect my home and I forgive the cops for making a mistake and I think everyone else should too," how much of a salve would that have been for race relations? Instead the professor got upset and anger is perpetuated.

OK, didn't want to make a post-long comment and didn't mean to get specific. All I meant to say was that I think rational discussion is great and that there is too much hate and not enough forgiveness and understanding.

And I appreciate your post.

Emily said...

Afton, I agree. Somewhere there has to be a medium because staying too far on one side gets us into a heap of trouble. I just want people to realize that just because you are a recipient of a social program doesn't mean that you are somehow less of a person or not as righteous. It infuriates me to no end. It makes me sick when people in their high and mighty attitude think that these people want this life and think it is somehow easy or a "free ride" obviously they have never been on the receiving end of this system. It is neither easy or desirable. Sure there are those that take advantage, but it is not for us to judge. Do I hate that we have to bail out big companies for their dumb choices, yes, but I am not one to talk because I have made some dumb choices and need forgiveness too. Ultimately, our system is still the best in the world. I guess that is what matters. I just want to help as many people as possible out of the spiral of poverty and give those who are underemployed (making too much to receive any assistance) an opportunity to get a foothold on their climb back up. It makes sense to me. Healthcare needs to be affordable. It doesn't have to be premium care, but I think every child should have access to a doctor and a dentist regardless of their parents choices. Likewise, access to schooling to help them achieve more, and a place to live...not a tv or cell phones or a new car....just food, shelter, and clothing...and safety. Government can make sure that the citizens of the USA can have these basic things....what they choose to do above and beyond that, is how millionaires are made. It's my position. It's hard to pay for all of these things, but necessary in my opinion...or else we end up with a caste system...not cool in my book at all. Thanks for the discussion...really.

Jadie said...

Emily, you stated so eloquently what I feel. Afton, I loved that quote, "it is easier to hate than to understand."