Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mayfield Lake


As a young child, my fondest memories were of my Mother's family reunions. Most everyone on her side of the family knows how to party like it's 1999! My memories include elaborate dance numbers done at talent shows, Uncle's cross dressing while dancing to the latest jig, complicated practical jokes, boat rides, amazing themed meals, and card games until the we hours of the morning. Much of it's glory has since fizzled with the passing of the head's of household. We that are still die hard reunion planners, manage to bring some of the former glory into our annual camping trip.
Our meal this year was Saturday breakfast. Cooking for 40 people doesn't seem like many to me anymore. What does that say about me?! Anyway, I am starting to take over the reigns if you will for my side of the family. We attempted a french cafe complete with 4 little waiters in black pants, white shirts and long white aprons. They took every one's orders for french toast. I was going to whip up 80 crepe wrappers and 40 individual quiches in my spare time...hehe...but with the weather well over 105 the whole week and not having air conditioning, I was not about to attempt that one. So instead of Quiche and Crepes, we had French Toast with fresh Strawberry or Blueberry sauce with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and whipped cream. We kicked up the scrambled eggs a notch with some bacon bits and cheese and a slice of ham on the side with a croissant. Evidently french people enjoy a meager breakfast of a pastry with coffee, but of course I was trying to restore our former glory of years past. My mind is already working on ideas for next year. And if I have anything to say about it, we will have a talent show/ skit show too. Here's to many more years of good times with great people!

2 comments:

Jadie said...

So cool that you blog! I discovered you on Karen's list...

Hey, did you know that I'm actually a second cousin? At least, that's what I'll say when I crash your next reunion! That sounded about heavenly, and I loved the idea of the little waiters and waitresses. Although, no family reunion could be complete w/o a cross-dressing uncle dancing a jig. Will he be there? ;)

Emily said...

Oh you would love it! We had a margarita night on Saturday. It's kinda funny watching your family get hosed! We take in orphans...you'd love it! By the way, I am a die hard blogger. It's my voice...