Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Dance

Hindsight, they say, is 20/20. Last night as I watched all the youth from this side of the river shake what their mama gave them, I came to a realization that nothing has changed in 20 years. Young teenage boys are still awkward. Girls still giggle and wear weird clothes. They are classed in the same categories, the nerds, the jocks, the bad girls and boys, the good girls and boys and all the spectrum's in between. I saw "the flirt" who was wearing something that was a little too adult for her. I saw the dancer guy with his white suspenders that all the girls flocked to. I saw the guy that just didn't care what anyone else thought and danced his funny little heart out. But the thing that disheartened me was this young lady that I teach who had not been asked to dance all night. Seriously, wish I had a big stick to beat over these boys heads. This girl is gorgeous, petite, beautiful hair, eyes and and teeth. She is hot by all standards. So men have not changed at all. They still can't get up enough nerve to ask the pretty girl out unless she is completely outgoing and willing to ask the guys to dance....such a crying shame! All of you mothers out there with boys, teach them how to ask a girl to dance. Rarely, will she say no. No excuses! Don't let them sit by the food all night! I can remember with great clarity my experiences at dances. I had fun, I had my heart broke, I got asked to dance, and I got shunned. Oh to be a teenager again...no thank you! But I love them and am so glad that I get to serve them at this time in my life. It was neat to see "my girls" at the dance. We bonded over our mutual distaste for heartbreakers....

2 comments:

Afton said...

Ugh...too many awkward memories of youth dances.

Loralee and the gang... said...

The only reason I would ever want to be a teenager again would be to un-do all the mistakes I made! To not feel ackward about my size - I wish I could be that size again! To take education more seriously and boys less so. To have more confidence in myself and not let what others might think of me inhibit what I might try. Unfortunately, immaturity and ignorance prevented me from even knowing any of this was possible for me. Too bad. Hopefully we as parents and leaders can teach the teens we influence, whether our own or other's children, to have confidence in themselves.