Monday, January 12, 2009

The Gym (the journey begins)


Note to self; do not go to the gym again between the hours of 4:30 and 6:30 pm. Another note to self, make sure that what you are wearing is tight enough that it wont start sliding off....made you laugh didn't I? Never in my wildest dreams did I ever consider that something that I wore to the gym might be a little too big, but I guess that is what happens if you lose weight. Don't worry, nothing was exposed. Not only am I going past my target heart rate ( I am sure that is bad right), but I actually get quite the surge of adrenaline around 30 minutes. The runners on either side of me were almost up to speed with me...I was going a little slower and walking, but on an incline...the wimps were doing it on level ground. Waaaaaahhhnneees! So what I am trying to say, is I survived the gym but would rather get up at 4:45 in the morning and go with the die hards then have to get oogled at by sweaty fat men with back hair....can you say scary picture? Ok, enough judgment. Good to see them there, but I will feel more comfortable with more women than men. Tomorrow morning it is. By the way, on the 14th, it will be 60 days of working out in a row...I'm on the wagon and am not getting off any time soon.

7 comments:

Erika said...

It's nice to hear about someone else's gym experience since I am scared of going! I haven't been since college and feel out of touch with how to do stuff. So my hubby and I have talked about going this summer together. With no physical labor anymore he is shrinking and wants to get more active. We like to jog together but I hold him back, so this way we can both go do what we need to. I'm still scared though. By the way, you painted a lovely picture for us of the large sweaty men with back hair-YIKES! LOL! Hey, did you take a before picture of yourself so you can do a before and after thing?

Afton said...

first a comment on Erika's comment:
Why is it that when men stop exercising they get smaller and when women stop exercising they get bigger? Not fair.

Emily, WAY TO GO! I have not been to a gym in years either and would definitely want to go mid day when all the mom's are there. For now, the indoor track at the rec center is going to have to be enough for me. ($52 for 3 months was just right for our budget.)

Know what gets me about gyms though are the folks who like to do the free weights while watching themselves in the mirror. I know that part of it is to make sure they have the right form, but from they way they "make faces" it seems like they are more into admiring their bulging muscles than watching to make sure their form is right.

OH, there's plenty of blog fodder at the gym isn't there?

Emily said...

So they have pictures on all the nautilus machines that tell you which muscles you are working so even a dummy can do it. It's fairly cheap around 30 to 40 and that includes all the classes. I have a confession though. I really injured my right leg yesterday...stretching some lateral ligament in my upper thigh (probably a result of talking bad about the fat sweaty men). Don't even know if I can do yoga today it's that bad.

Afton, or my gosh, when I signed up, there was a guy driving a convertible red mustang with the top down. He had the worst tan and frosted hair and when he smiled at me, I thought I was going to go blind from the bright white smile. He is the guy that stares at himself in the mirror. Although, I can't really talk. Secretly, I want a mirrored wall so I can dance in front of it...but it's a technique thing for me...

Erika said...

I think there are people who go to the gym for the right reasons, and people who go for the wrong reasons. I also think us married women (and men!)need to be on guard there, because a lot of "checking eachother out" goes on and one can never be too careful! How do you like yoga, by the way? I've always wanted to give it a try.

Emily said...

Yoga is more of a relaxation technique to me. I am very flexible, so it isn't hard. I enjoy it, but don't really feel like I am working out. You can feel it in your core muscles and that can help you get tone, but it's more like intense stretching for me with a little strength training. Leg feels better though. I might have to get a friend to come with me. It seems like all the women come in groups but the guys come alone...reminds me of a stake dance!

Lyon Pride said...

What gym are you going to? I go to LA Fitness but I'm not an early bird!

Emily said...

It's LA Fitness...and I haven't been an early bird. When Patrick gets back, I'll probably go after the kids go to school or early in the morning, but right now, I can't go until the kids are all home so Madeline can watch the little ones...Last night, it wasn't bad, but the first night, right after work...scary!