Sunday, October 3, 2010

Conference Traditions: Shoe Shining


During the break between sessions of LDS conference, my daughters and I go on a walk.  We talk.  We laugh.  We bond Oregonian style by looking at all the pretty flowers and trees that surround us.  I showed my inquisitive daughters the "secret" paths that conjoin the streets behind their schools.  It's creepy and cool at the same time.  I remember going to my friends houses through those secret passages and loved showing them the forest hidden between.
What do the boys do?  Well they stay at home and shine shoes.  It's a tradition that my husband loves and Christian is starting to get into as well.  I must admit, that a good shoe shine will help even the homeliest footwear look fabulous.  I'd venture to guess that half of my husbands footwear was purchased second hand.  Mine is probably 1/3 of my total shoe population.   

These guys I have had since my mission.  They've been resoled and have new shoelaces, but are in amazing condition otherwise.  I call them my Laura Ingalls Wilder Crap Kickers!  I love them and wear them in the fall and winter more than once a week. 

1 comment:

Afton said...

I might still have my mission shoes had I not purchased them at Payless Shoe Source. Can you believe Payless Shoe Source shoes got me through 18 months in Alaska? They were so cheap when they got scuffed, the thin outer layer would come off and I'd fill in the spot with a black sharpie. Of course I didn't wear them in the winter...I had much better shoes for the snow.