
Long ago, in a land far away...well not really, but sounds good huh?! Seriously, what would I do without Costco? I had a chance to live that nightmare for 4 long months. We just couldn't afford the membership fee. Now that Patrick is employed, we braved the Costco parking lot and entered into it's air conditioned vastness today. How did I survive without this store? And then a ah ha moment came as I was loading up a bag of pretzels...your kitchen is a mess all the time because you can't go to Costco.
Really? It's true. Being cheap and having lots of time on my hands has afforded me the opportunity to think way too much about food and the cost of all things. So rather than plunk down 3.50 on a bag of flour Tortillas, I just make them myself. My children make a far larger mess because their is no corn dogs or Mac and Cheese on hand. The pot stickers are gone. No Nachos are made because mommy wont pay more than $4 for 2lbs of cheese and don't get me started on Tortilla chips! You can't beat 3.35 for a 3lb bag of them anywhere! So I have to cook lots and make huge messes to save a buck. I am the queen of homemade lately. But then something horrid happened, we ran out of the basics.
What brand of garbage sacks can compare to Kirkland? How does one afford Ziploc Bags if they are not purchased in bulk? How can small children be tricked into eating dairy if it is not in the form of a Gogurt or Cheese Stick. Baby wipes, does it get any better than Kirkland brand? How about 10 lb bag of Chocolate Chips? Basics are a steal at Costco. I'm not buying Salmon and Wine or a new mattress, just basics. So now I can quit trying to find the cheapest bottle of Vanilla, Costco beats them all. I can sleep at night knowing that all my produce is frozen in Ziploc bags and the garbage can be hauled out for pennies on the dollar compared to the store brands. Butter is back in my household and seriously, I defy you to find 2 gallons of milk for 3.59 anywhere (the new containers are a pain, but who cares if it saves you money!)
Not only can you get great deals, but feed your family lunch if you time it right. 4 kids got bread with jam, orange juice, veggie chips, salad with ranch and even a salmon patty all for free! And if you don't time it right, huge slice of pizza for $2 or a 1/2lb hotdog and a drink for a $1.50. Can't go wrong with that!
I was seriously shocked at the checkout line when my total was flashing in my face, but we had run out of everything...even plastic wrap. ( I think those 2 rolls lasted me 5 years) My kitchen will stay cleaner longer now, and no preteen boys will be dying because the lack of "good food." Thank you Costco for making my life so much easier in this lack luster summer. I'll be forever grateful...
1 comment:
So true about the kitchen being a mess when cooking from scratch!! We love Costco too. We like their bag of dried mangoes and their pita chips.
Post a Comment