Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Being Done

A women's work is never done. Isn't that how the saying goes? Laundry gets completed. Dishes get washed. The house gets cleaned. But honestly, it's never really done. The basket fills with dirty clothes just minutes after the last load is folded and tucked away in the drawers. The sink at my house is never empty. Although some homes I go to have a clean sink. This phenomena is a pure unadulterated miracle in my ever so humble opinion. With 3 meals and 2 snacks, 2 kids at home all day drinking, there is always something in the sink. I am not a "fly lady" and I think a polished sink is pure crap! Maybe when my kids are all in school, the kitchen will stay clean...yeah, not going to happen either. And I will let you in on a little secret as to why later...

Today is laundry day. Washing, drying, sorting, pretreating, making a new batch of laundry soap rounded out the days activities.
(this is the first step in creating the homemade laundry soap)

But again. It's not done. There is 5 pieces of clothing sitting in the basket in my Done Laundry room. During the whole process of laundry today (that's right, the whole day), I decorated and painted a project while waiting for the next load to dry.
(not a fan of fake green stuff, but it's a laundry room with no window)

If I don't fold it the moment it comes out of the dryer, it will sit there for days in a heap on the floor. My clothes never leave the laundry room however. I don't fold in front of the TV. They don't go on my bed. Why? It's not because I am some laundry Goddess. It's because I am lazy. Why add an extra step of transporting all those clothes into another room? So they got folded and placed in baskets. (My system is a basket for every kid and they put them away on there own.) And now I have a clean and decorated Laundry room for me, myself, and I. It's my room. So why not hang a pretty picture right? As I listen to the intoxicating hum of the dryer, I drift off into la la land. What do I want to be when I grow up?...Where am I going to go to school?...How am I going to pay for my kids missions and college educations?....and then the buzzer breaks my thought. Another load to fold and I start on my next project.

My home has a very unique floor plan. When you enter, it looks like any other 2 story with stairs off to the side and an entry leading to a living room or family room. But we have an extra door beside the closet that holds My Hallway.
It is the mudroom, laundry room, and pantry all tucked into it's own little hall of fame. (my babies minus Evan...his hangs there waiting for that first preschool pic)

It's completely capable of being closed off (to hide the clutter when people pop in unexpectedly). So in my quest for Done, I completed this hallway today in addition to the Laundry room and I must say it felt good. Painting the hooked shelf, (green underneath and I even drilled the holes myself and installed it with toggle type screws)

hanging the cork board, sweeping, lining all the laundry baskets up for the kids to take when they returned from school, this is Nirvana!

So here's to being Done. Laundry room and Mud room conquered. Now for the revealed secret, I just sent away for info to go to school....culinary school that is...and more specifically, Pastry Chef and Baker....big step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned....

Being Done gives you room to start something new.

3 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

I am guilty of taking the laundry from the dryer, to the couch, then to my bed, then to my floor. It is ridiculous, but I do it every time. I love your system of giving everyone their own laundry basket of their clean clothes. I will have to try that one out for sure. As for the soap making, do you find that it cleans better then the store bought stuff? I know it is way cheaper so that is a plus.

Afton said...

Yes, I can so see you as a pastry chef. And it's always good to have a pastry chef among your friends, so...YAY! I'm very excited for this exciting next step in the life of Emily.

As for the clean sink...I'm a mean mom. I close the kitchen after dinner and won't let the kids eat or drink until breakfast. They can get water from their bottles in the fridge, but that is it. Then I can clean the sink, put things away, sweep the floor and I go to bed AND wake up to a clean kitchen. Since I'm slightly obsessive, I really need that fresh clean start to get my day off on a positive foot.

Emily said...

Janessa, it doesn't clean any better. The best stuff out there is still Tide. I have to pretreat stains and use bleach on the whites, but I am doing it for the frugality of it all. I don't let my children put dirty clothes in the laundry room everyday, just once a week, so it helps to control the spread...
Afton, I applaud your magic. It's not happening at my house unless we eat icecream out of the carton for dinner...and I am not at all obsessive about the cleanliness of my house. I leave that up to my hubby. I get it done, but it doesn't bother me at all to have stuff everywhere once in a while...it's weird I know.