Thursday, May 29, 2008

Greetings from Daddy-Laing

Hi ya'll....

Em just informed me that I could actually add to this blog. I've enjoyed reading it but it didn't even occur to me that I could actually WRITE something (go figure, I'm on a computer for 10 hours a day it seems, but--alas--am still about as technical as a turnip, I'll admit).

Isn't Em a great writer! (I just had to mention that before I forget....) :0)

My technical expertise, or lack thereof, is the stuff of legend around the Laing and Armstrong homes. We used to look forward to her dad's bi-annual visits to Utah because I could save up all the semi-major and major honey-do's for him to accomplish while in town. Now that he lives across town we (1) never see him and (2) have a growing list of broken items and house projects that have yet to be done.

Personally, I am a firm believer in hiring professionals to do what professionals do every day. That's why I (we) didn't put in our own sprinkling system or finish our own basement in Utah. Time is money and it typically--in my mind--will cost me more to first figure out how to do something, second try to do it, third go get Em to help me figure out how to do it right, call up her dad to help us when we both get stuck, and--what are we at--fifth, take it to the repair shop after all and pay to have them undo what I've done. (One good example was the roto tiller we recently borrowed that I took a part and couldn't put back together; I think Em may have mentioned this to you).

Fixing things--or trying to--is also hard on the bod. You all heard about my 4 broken ribs and dislocated shoulder, I assume. I wasn't even trying to actually FIX anything. I was just up on the ladder, looking at the chimney, trying to figure out what it would take (for someone else) to come fix it. Our 100 lb. horse named Wilson knocked down the ladder ... and I ended up in a neck brace in the E.R.

Anyway. Just let me say thanks to each of you ... for being there for Em while we figure out where to land ... for buoying her up while I get our fledgling company off the ground ... for cheering her on while she and I rent for the first time in 15 years ... for being her friends as she goes through all the ups and downs of life, family and marriage to me. It's not always the easiest thing, I know. But I love her for it and I'm so glad we're a team.

We're almost there--I keep telling her to hang on. Our farm house, our acreage, our chickens and our cow ... they are just around the corner. Eggs and milk anyone? I'm sure we'll have plenty to share.

Ciao, Bionic WomEn

Patrick

1 comment:

Aimee Jager said...

Patrick, the dog has it out for you. He's secretly in love with Emily and is trying to get you out of the picture :)
Hope you feel better soon!