Thursday, May 1, 2008

Wheat and Rice and Corn....OH MY!




So all of you who know me well, understand that I am a little bit of a news junkie. I love current events, and I am not talking about what star is in rehab! CNN,KSL in Salt Lake, KATU in Portland, Glenn Beck, FOX news, are all on my favorites list. So if you haven't been keeping up with the whole food shortages and runs...news flash. Flour is more expensive, and rice is being limited in COSTCO. So I ask myself, Self are you prepared for things like this? Now my pantry is full. I have rice and flour and oats. Oil is in no short supply. Powdered milk, beans, chili, and soup starter are in abundance. We are not about to run out anytime soon, but I pose this question to you in cyberspace....what can you do with all this stuff? A crash course in cooking with food storage has been my only pastime this past month. With my husband's job situation, I have tried to live on a lean budget and use my precious flour,rice, and beans. But alas I have come to the conclusion that man cannot live on bread alone. Bread is my friend. We have been consuming copious amounts of the marvelously leavened creation. The sweet smell envelopes the whole house every other day. But I need more. Eggs are an absolute essential along with butter. Without these two ingredients, most of my wholesome creations cannot be made. Our diet these past few weeks has consisted of soups and stews with bread, pasta dishes, tuna and toast points....homemade Mac and Cheese. All of these things are yummy and my grocery bill has gone down dramatically but could I live on food storage alone? Not unless I had a freezer, chickens, and milk products such as cheese and yogurt. Does anyone think they could actually live on Pantry items for a year? Has anyone ever done it? Just making brownies requires eggs...and we all know that brownies are a must have in any food storage plan!

2 comments:

Aimee Jager said...

Can I come live with you just for you to feed me? My mouth is watering just reading about your dinners :)
I still need your fetticini recipe...email it to me!!!

Afton said...

My parents had freeze dried eggs in their food storage. They never used them though and threw them out 2 years ago when they retired to S. Utah.