Friday, June 17, 2011

Top Ten Things I Love About Summer

1.  I don't have to wash 42 pairs of socks each week.  Do you know what a challenge that is?  Imagine the amount of time I save not having to match them alone!  I have a great love affair with flip flops and sandals.  In fact, I love being barefoot.  I run barefoot on the treadmill and only put shoes on if I have to go somewhere. Now if I can only get my boys to wear Birkenstocks to church.

2.  Great Movies!  Regal Cinemas used to have movies for free during the summer.  Unfortunately they aren't free anymore but for a buck, you can't beat an air conditioned theater full of other kids on a hot day.  I haven't had an air conditioned home in years and on those super hot days, this is the perfect beginning for a scorcher day. You can go here to find a theater in your area and what they are playing.

3. Kids Bowl Free is a great idea for your kids that claim they are "bored".  Normally, I would give my children oodles of chores when they feign boredom, but during the summer, chores are usually done and I just can't justify keeping my kids cooped up all day.  I'd go insane if I didn't get out of the house once in a while and this is perfect for those not so great weather days.  Go here to sign up.  Of course it's not really free because you still have to pay for shoe rental if you don't happen to have a set of stylin bowling shoes in your collection.  Also, if you want to play, you can buy a pass.  I plan on bringing a book.

4. Water features are a plenty around here.  The city park has a fountain, there are parks close with water features for kids.  Then we always have the good old standby, the Willamette river or the local lake swimming hole.  I am not a huge fan of water, but my kids love it.  And in our town, they offer swimming lessons for $10 a session.  You really can't beat that!

5. Going to the beach is great fun!  I am so grateful that we live close.  I grew up going to the beach at least 10 times a year.  Nothing like an ocean breeze to cool you down when it's unbearable in the summer.  Also, who doesn't love to build a sand castle and jumping waves?  Just bring a sweatshirt because the coast can be at least 30 degrees colder if it's over 100 in Portland.

6. Culdesac playing for hours.  My kids are master game makers.  Take one large package of sidewalk chalk, add some nibble hands, and a handful of balls and rocks, and that equals one great obstacle course.  I get bike courses, four square, hopscotch, red rover games, bike ramps, and an occasional foot race.   I'm a firm believer in making sure my kids get lots of time to just be kids.  I totally get my parents generation that "locked" their kids outside to play during the day....although I don't lock them out, I do lock them out of anything electronic if that big orb in the sky is shining.

7. Berry picking and canning galore.  Food is a family affair in my home. Not only do we all love food in our home, but everyone can pitch in when it comes to cooking.  3 of the five of my children are competent enough to cook dinner for everyone.  I've taken that one step further and had my kids help me grow food in our garden and also gather food to cook.  Some of our fondest memories are picking strawberries and blueberries as a family.  We also pick peaches and pears too.  Then we come home and can everything.  No person is left out.  Whether it's cutting strawberries or cleaning jars, we all pitch in.

8. Sleeping-in rocks!  I love sleep.  But I have a very hard time getting in any shut eye until after midnight.  So naturally, that means I don't wake up until after 7:30.  The sun tries to rouse me earlier but it only lasts for a few minutes before I fall back into my peaceful slumber.  Now that I have a 13 and 12 year old, sleep is essential in my house.  Teenagers need more sleep than usual.  They are cranky if you wake them before they really want to get up.  Trust me.  Do Not Wake The Teenagers!  I also have some night owl children so if I don't have to get up at the Butt Crack O Dawn, everyone is happier!

9. Camping is cooler than Disneyland.  We are a strange breed that will actually think living off of the land, getting dirty and stinky is actually a vacation.  I'm not much for the whole spa and sitting by the beach kind of girl when it comes to relaxing.  Stick me in the forest and I am good to go.  I would rather have a trailer than a tent just for the bed at night, but it will do for now.  My kids love it too.  We can read, eat great food, play in the dirt or water, and usually have grand times with friends and family.  Nature is so beautiful that Disneyland and water slides just don't do it for me anymore.

10. Eating outside is awesome!  I quite enjoy a grill.  If something allows me to not do dishes then I am all for it!  I am more likely to justify eating off of paper plates if the food has been prepared on a grate as opposed to an oven.  It's just something I tell myself to make me feel better about all those helpless trees I am cutting down due to my copious use of paper plates, cups, and bowls.  Don't Judge!  I may be a democrat but I draw the line at being environmentally conscious when it comes to dishware.  I HATE doing the dishes. 

Hope you all have a great summer!!  I know I will....

1 comment:

Erika said...

I'm with you on the camping vs. Disneyland, and not just because we can't afford Disneyland right now, but because camping really is good for the soul. I'm afraid I can't say that about Disneyland. Happy summer to you!