Monday, June 13, 2011

Throwing Convention Out The Window!

Did you ever just want to just stick your little finger to the world, to the world, to the world???  (It's a song).  Well I have probably changed my hairstyle more than anyone I know...except my cousin who is a hairdresser.  That isn't fair though...she has products and people at her disposal.  I must patiently wait for an appointment, and fork over the cash to try something new. 

It all started my senior year, when I got my braces off right before school.  Sun In was popular and since I had a new set of perfect teeth, I thought I would go blonde as well.  Why not?  Well that was not the smartest choice I have made in the realm of haircare...but I was young and stupid and everyone was doing it right?  It turned orange.  Brassy, crazy, Orange!  I lived with it and then got a perm ontop of it!  The late 80's and early 90's were just bad hair years all across the board.  It was long and blonde my Freshman year of college, short and blonde or short and bright red my Sophmore year and I even tried a Idaho perm because when in Idaho, do as the Idahoan's do....(what a mistake that was!!!) I kept the short and sassy look until I was 21 and then I began to grow it out.  By the time I left to serve a mission for my church, I had blonde hair and it was drugstore bottle blonde...not a far stretch from Sun In.  Blech!  Anyway, I tried like the dickens to get the poor Utah hairdressers to have pity on my Oregon Ashy hair.  It was bright blonde, and I had a perm for most of mission.  Shoulder length.  Then I came home and cut it...bobbed it...boy problems will do that to you right?  It grew out enough by the time that I got married and then when my first baby was born, I died it dark, dark, red.  It was past my shoulders.  I kept growing it until my second baby was born 14 months later and by this time is was just plain old brown.  That is when my baby making caught up with me and my hair looked hideous.  So I cut it.  It was pretty short.  Kevin and I moved to Sacramento and I began the journey into "Weave".  I got it short, layered and blonde...because I was in California and my husband was dying of cancer....I needed something to make me happy when I looked in the mirror.  I kept that do for a while and after his death and Brightens birth, I pretty much kept it in a long blonde bob.  Then I turned 28 and it was super short and spiky.  It was my, don't mess with me, I am a single mother of 3 babies!!  And then I got remarried and by that time the blonde had gotten longer into a bob again.  Then it went from bob, to shoulder length brown, to short and highlighted and layered, to super short, then I grew it out again with a little bit of highlights until it was past the shoulders. 
When we moved to Oregon, I reverted to my short style once again.  It was still highlighted.  And then it was bright blonde.  Then it began to grow out.  I got it highlighted often, from a bob, to shoulder length, and now past my shoulders.  Just recently, it was as close to my natural color as I have ever seen it...like my Junior year in highschool ashy dirty blonde.  It wasn't horrible, and I don't think I looked bad, but I definitely had to dress it up just to make it look interesting at all....(this is still highlighted a little as you can see)

Well that brings us to today.  I'm back in college now.  Life has been a roller coaster and I keep getting told that I am intimidating.  I guess I just have a lot going on and it shows in my face right?  But it looks dowdy, and conservative, definitely not who I really am....so I decided to make yet another hair change....one that shows that I am not conservative, that I really am an extrovert, that I don't follow conventional wisdom, and that I don't mind being different.  Why.....Why not?????

I wake up in the morning and this is how I feel!


My future is bright and shiny...and I should have a smile on my face...

It says, I like to be kind of weird and I am ok with that...

And if you don't like it????  Well who cares!!!!!!

3 comments:

Erika said...

You go girl! Isn't change fun? I love messing with my hair, and I'm always people watching and checking out other women's hair to get ideas.

Marilyn Lewis said...

I love it!!! Looks great!

DaddyPatrick said...

I love it too, Em! I mean that. It's actually one of my very favorite things about you, did you know that ... your sexy side, sassy side, take on the world and love it fully side. Your hair, I think, says a lot about you and who you are at your core, Em ... confident, a little crazy, but classy, authentic and real. I admire you, Em, and I appreciate you too. I hope you know that. I really mean it. Even your "I am woman. Hear me roar" hairdo. You go girl. I love you, Wonder Woman, and pray I can develop the courage and confidence you exude more and more myself somehow. You inspire me, baby ... always. :0] Me