
(Doesn't this look like Evan?)
Long ago, I used to be a boy loving single girl. I'm sure none of you had crushes on guys right? Never right? Well when I was a wee lassy, I had my fair share of loves. Although I wasn't completely dateless as a single person, I NEVER had a beau on Valentines. NEVER. NOT ONCE!! Can you tell that I harbor some angst about the holiday? I have vivid memories of asking that guy at Ricks out and Heart Attacking him....he said no. Then there was the neighbor boy who I asked to prom...he said no. Did I give a few cards to guys in my day...yep. Did I get one in return....no. Notice a pattern?!?
So you can imagine that I already have many Valentines Day's behind me filled with chocolate, sappy romantic movies, and large amounts of Jamoca Almond Fudge. Patrick is quick to point out that I have several good memories of Valentines Day as a married woman and he is right about that, but really, when I think of Valentines Day, I cringe. This year, I'm about to change my attitude....I have nixed the traditional dinner and movie with Patrick and decided to do something that focused on others.
So All the Single Ladies in our area that I know, will be getting a Valentine Card and a box of Chocolates from our family....Ding Dong Ditch with the kids to all the widows and single girls without a boyfriend. I wish I had super altruistic motives, but mainly, I am doing this for myself. I need to get over the whole, boys hate me, thing. I know I would have loved to be thought about on that awful holiday when I was not with a "lover". My challenge to you is, if you spend plenty o time with your man, (we go on a date once a week, so it's not like Valentines is really really special) then why not take your kids out and make someones day.
6 comments:
I love this idea. I never had a man on Valentine's Day (before I snagged the one I got now). I never even had a date to Prom or Homecoming and the only fancy dance I went to was girl's choice, but that's another topic. Anyway, my favorite Valentine Day quote was from Ghostbusters 2. Bill Murray is interviewing a guy for his paranormal TV show and the guy believes he knows the actual date of the end of the world. It turns out it's Feb 14, (can't remember the year) and Bill Murray's response was, "Valentine's Day. Bummer." For a few years, a friend and I exchanged flowery Valentine cards each year and we always wrote, "Valentine's Day. Bummer."
Anyway, I don't care who you are doing your good deed for. You are going to make many people's day. Nice job.
Afton, I love you more every day! I'm glad I am not the only one that didn't go to prom. I did go to two dances (one homecoming with my brother's friend, and one to winter formal with a guy I was dating...I asked him)in highschool. And college, I went to the first one and then decided to nix that one after the disasterous outcomes...boys stink!
Excellent idea!! I think that I will be doing that to this amazing single sister in my ward. She is so special and someone should show her. Thank you for the idea!
I loathe Valentines. And Mother's day and Father's day. And any other day where you are told you have to appreciate someone. If you don't appreciate someone the other 364 days of the year, then you don't really appreciate them.
I would much rather be shown that I am loved and appreciated at some point where it isn't expected or dictated by the calendar. Do something special for me just because you think I am special, not because society has told you that you have to on this date.
And you get twice as many flowers for the same price most of the rest of the year!
And I was generally alone on V-day until I got married. And I never went to any dance either. Silly boys didn't know what they were missing!
I'm with you ped crossing. Both my husband and I are on the same page with Valentine's Day and I love that! We don't feel like we have to go out and shower eachother with expensive gifts in order to prove to ourselves and the world that we love eachother. It's simply rediculous. I love spontaneity, and Emily, I love your idea. Thank you for helping me turn my thoughts to others instead of myself this weekend.
Post a Comment