Making this bread was easy, yummy and cheap! Unfortunately, I pay $4.99 for a small loaf of Udi's bread now for my non gluten family members and will be going cold turkey on gluten for the whole family within a few weeks (shhhh! They don't know it yet, so don't tell them...there might be weeping, wailing, and knashing of teeth!)
So now I have this almost brand new book that is absolutely fabulous, if you can eat wheat, and I can't bear to send it to Goodwill. Herein lies the giveaway....if you can give me some kind of helpful tip for kids lunches in a comment that does not include wheat or dairy and can't be a repeat of something someone else has already left on a comment, then I will include you in a random drawing for this great book. I'll even ship it to you! That's right, I will fork over the cash and go to the post office (no small feat for a mother of 5), so comment away (only once please) and I will pick a winner on the 27th (Monday).

5 comments:
Lucky me, being first and all!
I think that apples are the best thing for lunches, they are healthy but can be made into a fun, yummy food to eat. You can buy little individual packs of caramel (regular, low free, and low sugar) at the store. Cut up the apple and the kids have a fun healthy, cruchy, sweet treat.
Now that we're heading into the cold half of the year, what kid wouldn't love a warm thermos full of delicious soup, and a sandwich made with some really good gluten-free bread that you made just for them? There are all kinds of good soups that you can make that don't require dairy or gluten (just throw the stuff into a crockpot before you go to bed), and here are 3 links to different GF bread recipes (with pictures, no less!) that make even someone like me want to try them out:
Gluten-free millet & quinoa bread
Gluten-free oat & honey bread
Gluten-free sorghum & flax bread
Also, you could try things like sushi or sticky rice-balls, or even a bowl with rice and some really good meatballs and/or gravy, maybe made with potato starch or something (mmmmmm....gravy...) And add some fresh veggies, like carrots, etc., and some fruit for dessert, and voila! You've got a great lunch!
Now if you'll excuse me, all this talk of gravy has gotten me all worked up, and I need to make my way to the kitchen...
OK, I love pre-making foods and putting them in the freezer for quick lunches in the morning. Unfortunately, the things I put in the freezer are sandwiches (I make my own crustless sandwiches with the Pampered Chef thingy) and cookies, both with gluten. I put them all in baggies so they are individually wrapped and ready to go. then I corral the whole bunch in a bigger zip top bag. Another convenience thing I love is the Jovy fruit rolls that are sold in the produce section. They are normally 50 cents each, so kinda pricey, but they are cheaper at Winco. I was under the impression that they were just fruit and some citric acid, but now that I've looked closely, there is artificial flavors, colors, added sugar. Darn, I hate when I think I'm choosing something healthy and then find out I'm not "all that."
Ok, I'm totally drawing a blank here. How about rice cakes? Do you guys eat those? You could make a sandwich out of them with peanut butter and bananas or honey or jam. Makes me think of "Bedtime Stories" with Adam Sandler--don't the kids eat a rice cake sandwich and he makes some funny comment about them? Need to watch that again.
Michelle H.
Here's a few quick and easy snacks that kids can do for themselves;
1. rice crackers, cheese slices and apples with water or a juice box (easy and fast plus a full lunch). 2. corn tortilla with lunch meat, lettuce, condiments and cheese (don't roll, just fold in half) pair it with a yogurt and some veggies (celery, carrots, cherry tomatoes; whatever the kids like). 3. I do like thermoses; we will put milk in the thermos and then pack a baggie with their favorite gluten free cereal that they can bit by bit pour into the thermos of milk. They can even get the spoon from the hot lunch line. Pair this with some raisins and maybe a hard boiled egg. 4. You can do a snacky lunch too; a Lara bar, some homemade popcorn from the night before, an apple or cut up fruit and a juice box or water. 5. a bag of tortilla chips and tupperware or plastic baggie of salsa pair this with a string cheese and some cut up orange/yellow peppers or veggies.
Post a Comment