Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I think I live on Wisteria Lane...

Really, I mean do people actually live like this?  I just had to get this off of my chest because in all my 36 years as a person (was a cat before in Egypt?  Who knows...I'm just throwing it out there) I have never lived in a neighborhood like this one.  I can't blame it on Lake Oswego because I have lived here before and didn't experience this in any way, shape, or fashion.  Can I blame it on living in a culdesac?  Nope.  Did that one in Sacramento and I can say that it wasn't this way at all.  Although I did have one neighbor that mowed the front lawn when Kevin was too sick to do it and a neighbor that I hung out with on a regular basis.  But this is just plain mind blowing!  You know all of those TV sitcoms where people actually know their neighbors...ok like Three's Company comes to mind and the Cosby show, yeah like that. I thought those were just figments of writers convoluted idealization of childhood....well they were right!  That place exists.

We just happened to get a house on the Twilight Zone Street!  Not only have several neighbors actually come over to introduce themselves, but they actually bring things over...how strange is that?  And when the dog gets out of the backyard, they bring him back to me with a smile...not calling the HOA  (there is none by the way) or calling the cops.  I must have missed the memo that it's ok to be neighborly.  These people are really nice.  They all know each other.  They all were excited to have kids move into the neighborhood.  They share extra lettuce and some of them even go out to dinner with each other.  They ladies drink wine while watching their kids play outside and walk around the neighborhood chatting.  They all shop at Target and not Talbots.  These are normal people folks.  I met the "mothers' last night and they all proclaimed how they look out for each others' kids.  They have my back...I mean I really was completely floored!  Is this the "village" that Hillary Clinton keeps talking about?  (Sorry, I'm sure you all live in neighborhoods like this one, but really, I can't say that I have...even in Daybreak.)

Then the power went out.  How do I know this?  Well one lady got out of her car and proclaimed the garage door wasn't working.  Then the men started coming outside and asking if everyone's power was out.  It was like a impromptu party on our street.  Everyone was just great friends with each other.  It didn't matter if you had kids or single, they all are one big happy family.   We chatted for a few minutes, introduced all of our kids, talked to the neighbor on the next street over that got a flaming poop bomb two weeks ago at 4:30 in the morning. I think I might be living in the Truman Show...is someone filming my every move?

Maybe this place is like Desperate Housewives if I actually knew what that show was all about.  I'm hoping it's not, but seriously, this is going to take some getting used to (besides, which one would I be?)  I think I might like this neighbor thing.

4 comments:

Jadie said...

That is what a neighborhood should be! Ours is similar, but I credit that to the fact that we all built and moved into our houses at the same time. As to whether you are on the Truman Show, I won't say, but that was a touching episode when the neighbors brought your dog back. I laughed; I cried. ;)

Nikki said...

I'm glad you have a great neighborhood! As long as other people's kids don't come bursting in your door unannounced, it sounds like a great place! Hope my new neighborhood is as good

Erika said...

Sounds so wonderful. I know I like living in a culdesac now--it adds a sense of security that I didn't have before. It's great to know you have neighbors you can call on in time of need. I had to chuckle at the flaming poop bomb. I guess that type of thing will never die, will it!

Rachel said...

With my little experience in watching "Desperate Housewives", you better hope you don't live on Wisteria Lane because there might be murder and infidelity involved if you are.