Wednesday, June 9, 2010

BooHoo for Bread


It's official...and I have the blood tests to prove it. I have Celiac disease. I've suspected it for months, but wasn't 100% sure until today. I've been off gluten for at least a good month and a half with 3 contaminations that have sent me reeling. Something as small as crouton crumbs on salad made me sick for 3 days. I often wonder how I survived for this long but have come to understand that wheat is like an opiate for me. That's right people, it attaches to the receptors in the brain simulating an opiate response....things that make you go hmmmmm!
Anyway, it's completely treatable. We are in the process of testing Brighten, who probably has it, and figuring out if there are other allergies at play as well.
As a side benefit, I've lost 13 pound in less than two months just by eliminating wheat and dairy. Now comes the hard part...how to incorporate "normal" items into my diet that don't have gluten. I've found a good cheese that is soy and dairy free, a good tortilla wrap, a good wafer cookie, a good ice cream...so if any of you have any hints, feel free to share them with me. It's going to be a journey.

4 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

My aunt and her children have celiac disease also. She has a TON of information on it, if you are interested, I can ask her anything you want. Let me know.

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

Oh girlfriend. Call me. My dear friend Christy Smith has it and I have learned so much cooking for her. She would love to talk with you. She knows what baked beans, ketchup, ice cream, substitutions when baking, etc. EVERYTHING has glueten!! Good luck!! She is as big as a stick. Side benefit.

Erika said...

Wow, 13 pounds! Maybe I should "pretend" I have celiac and eat like you so I can shed a few pounds. Good luck, I know it's probably not the most convenient thing.

Jadie said...

Love the picture...!