Friday, April 23, 2010

Culture

You want a list of how stereotypically Oregonian I am?
1. I'm a democrat
2. I drive a VW...second only to a Subaru Outback
3. I am a foodie
4. I have a Mac
5. I have chickens in my backyard
6. I read lots of books and go to Powell's
7. I shop locally and sustainably
8. I am becoming a tech junkie
9. I am relaxed in style and actually own real Birkenstocks (only suburban mothers wear heels to school functions...and yes I have done it...but really, anyone else own a pair of comfortable Dansko's).
10.  I grow a garden

Any others you can think of?  Well I took my little boys on an adventure the other day to Downtown.  When I was a wee lad...ok when I was 14, I used to go downtown alot and I mean alot!  Mass transportation was my friend.  I guess that makes me pretty independent and brave for all you suburbanites out there.  And don't start yelling that its worse now...it's the same.  I saw people peeing in the streets when I was 14...and heaven forbid, I even "cruised" Broadway with friends for fun.  Man, I was such a rebel.  I had no fear.  I guess I still don't because I am thinking I really need to expose my kids to the city a bit more.  Forget the zoo and Safari Sams.  China town is cool.  Bums are an education.  Food carts rock.  Punkers are fun to look at.  And Anderson thinks the Portland Streetcar is pretty awesome!  Maybe this Saturday, I take my brood on a little trip into the city so they can grow to love Portland as much as I do.  Who thinks I'm nuts?!

6 comments:

Afton said...

I grew up exploring San Francisco and I can honestly say, Portland ROCKS. I love how manageable the city is. it is much easier to feel a part of it and to take advantage of all it has to offer. I think the trees make a huge difference for Portland. It's so beautiful. I used to work downtown and absolutely loved it. What I wouldn't give for a Full Moon Burrito from the cart that used to hang out at 2nd and Morrison!

CHMKM said...

Last night it was nice talking with an 'original oregonian' or for that matter someone who knows the streets of the Portland Metro area. Sometimes I feel like I am a minority with so many from out of state these days. My friends and I too cruised Broadway. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Those were the days. I've always loved downtown Portland.

Emily said...

yeah for Portland!! I think I might just have to hit Saturday market in May and do the whole Rose Festival thing too...

Erika said...

I really have to visit Portland before I die!! It sounds like such a nice change from SLC. So according to your list, it sounds like I'm about half Oregonian myself! You'll have to post a pic of your VW van--that's awesome. I too need to expose my kids to what's out there, and like you said, it can be a learning experience like with the homeless. It's funny to watch my kids expressions when we go somewhere like the city--they're so sheltered where we live. They just gawk when they see someone with lots of piercings, tattoos, etc. We need to branch out...we need to explore...we need to grow and meet new people...we need to move to Virginia!!! (at this point it's either the U or Virginia)

ped crossing said...

I was just at Saturday market a week ago and it was awesome, even though I couldn't find the jewelry vendor I was looking for. I can go along with most everything on your list with the exception of the chickens. :)

Jadie said...

You are NOT nuts!! I think Portland is a gem of a city, and I also want to expose my children to a little more of it.

For the record, here's my little list:

1. I'm a democrat
2. I drive a Subaru Forester
3. I am a foodie
4. I want a Mac--very badly
5. I eat the eggs of friends who have chickens in their yards (close enough?)
6. I read lots of books and go to Powell's
7. I shop locally and sustainably
8. I am becoming a tech junkie
9. I am relaxed in style--no birkenstocks, but just bought a pair of Dansko's.
10. I grow a garden
11. I ride my bike everywhere.

So, do I make it? Am I a true Oregonian now? I love this place--it feels like home.