Monday, February 22, 2010

Teacher...want an apple?

February 22nd seems like a really weird day to begin school, but that is just what I am doing.  Can't even soak it all in yet, but I am a real college student again...wow!  Looking back at my transcripts, I was a little horrified to say the least.  Ok, so not to sound conceited, but I am smart...so what is with the horrible grades?  Then it all started creeping back in.  My freshman year, I actually signed up for classes before 10 in the morning...bad move.  Then I didn't have the guts to withdrawal from my classes if I didn't like them.  Actually, I didn't want to loose the grants, so there you go.  What a waste.  And, I had some philosophical block against the grading system as a whole.  Why go to class if you already knew the material?  This is college right?  Anyway...sucks to be me.  I'm over it.
Now, I get to type away on my bed at 11:30 at night in my underwear and it's grand!  Sure, it's still about turning in assignments and quizzes (which I have already done 2 of both on my first day...they let us start on friday).  We have group discussions, blogs, videos, audio links, and tests.  It really is quite complicated, but I am willing to do this to get my degree from BYU-I and save like a gazillion dollars by not going to George Fox.  I only have one class, but starting in May, it's full speed baby.  It's kind of a non descript degree, but it will be in communications with a marriage and family studies minor.  It will get me into the counseling program at George Fox for a masters and that is all I care about right now.  Really...who couldn't use a course in conflict management?! LOL!
College for me was about forming lasting friendships, deepening my testimony, learning, working, and finding myself.  I did that.  And look what I've become?
 Besides going to class without leaving my bed, there are also some other benefits.  I don't have to worry about stupid boys and how they break your heart, or if I am going to slip and bust my tailbone on the ice in Rexburg.  Or how about finding decent clothing in a town that caters to potato farmers and cowboys?  And girl roommate drama...so glad I don't have to live with that anymore. So is it ok if I want to go buy a book bag and some cool pens, paper, folders, and highlighters?  I think I might start writing poetry again and waxing philosophical on all subjects great and small...watch out!

3 comments:

Erika said...

You brought back some lovely memories of Rexburg, mainly one of me slipping on the ice FLAT ON MY BACK as I was walking to Brolim's (sp) grocery store, right in the middle of an intersection! I was so embarrassed. Good for you and your schooling. You're one brave mamacita!

Emily said...

I fell so much...I think I have some kind of mental block to losing weight because then my backside can't take the falls! LOL! Good thing there was only like 5 guys on the whole campus...and I loved Brolim's. The whole town changed when evil Walmart came to town! I loved those movies for 1.50 and Taco Time...you should go back...it looks so much different now.

Jadie said...

best of luck, Em! so proud of you! PS--so glad you're not a Walmart fan either!!