Little old me who finally, after a failed attempt at a Clear USB for my laptop, hooked up the wireless internet throughout the house. So I am using this opportunity to pat myself on the back a little. Pat Pat. I know how to do lots of things that most people rarely attempt. And sometimes, I feel like Stuart Smalley who stares in the mirror and says, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggonit, people like me!" Do any of you out there have this retarded character flaw that comes out when people compliment you...you say oh well if you only saw how dirty my house was or tell everyone that you don't even know if your kids are wearing socks to school today, when people tell you how wonderful you are? It's just me right? Shame on me and the fake humility. Confidence is not pride. God gave me some serious gifts that I really enjoy. One of them is independence. If I don't know how to do something, gosh darnit, I am going to figure out how and get it done, or try my hardest and then consult a professional. I'm strange that way. But I feel bad, when someone says that they would love to be able to do all the things I do. It doesn't have anything to do with smarts or talent, it is shear stubborn independence...left over from my 2year old self. I can do it by myself gosh darnit!...echo's in my ears from the distant past.
So in an attempt to toot my own horn I am just going to write down all the stuff I am doing or have done in the past month that I deserve a pat on the back for...because like it or not, the most important person that should be impressed with me, is me. I am more important to myself than anyone else (can you tell I am in therapy right now?)!
1. I can get my kids to church on time without help from my spouse.
2. I can hook up a washer and a gas dryer singlehandedly.
3. I can hook up the internet modem and wireless router.
4. I manage 5 different children's schedules and manage to make it to almost everything (95%)
5. I change light fixtures
6. I paint walls
7. I sew drapes
8. I cook healthy meals
9. I know when something is wrong with my car (and if I only had one of those boards with wheels and a few blocks, gosh darnit, I'd try and fix my own car!)
10. I am going back to college
11. I asked for a calling...and got one.
12. I am unpacking a house singlehandedly
13. I manage a household in which my husband is gone 60+ hours a week working on top of playing basketball 3 days a week, choir practice for a local performance group, and a demanding calling at church.
14. I sing my kids to sleep almost every night
15. I fixed the bath drain
16. I stand up for myself
Thanks for letting me gush a little. I needed it. If I can't actually apply what I learn to myself, then I have no business going to school to be a Psychologist.
5 comments:
You're awesome. You have every right to pat yourself on the back!
Good job, you're awesome!
I kept up thru #9 - then you lost me. But I do know how to fix a drain, stand up for myself, unpack a house, and manage 4 kid's schedules (5 when Chad's back from his mission - no wait, he'll manage his own!) and function in my church calling.
But for sure not all at the same time.
All the same, thanks for reminding me to pat myself on the back once in a while, too!
You are one awesome women Emily. I am proud to know you!
#1 alone is enough to earn my undying admiration and jealousy. ;) You are an amazing woman!
I totally do that same thing: if people ask me "how do you do it" I always answer: "you obviously haven't seen my house or my dirty dishes" or whatever... as if being a human being with weaknesses somehow negated the things that I do right.
When we were first married, sometimes Dave would make me look in the mirror and say, "My name is Karen. People like me. I am great and do great things..."
And dangit, I am. I hope. =]
Thanks ladies. It means alot, but not as much as knowing that I truly am good enough from my own heart. We all are. You are all accomplished and fabulous daughters of God who have divine and specific missions to accomplish in this life. So Karen, you and I need to practice just saying Thank You and then keeping our mouths shut. :)
Post a Comment