Friday, February 13, 2009

Cleaning the Kids Rooms...Girls addition

( I preface this post with the fact that I can no longer be embarrassed by anything my children do and someday I will show this to my children's future spouses so that they make an informed choice!)
I have been a little frustrated with my kids lately. They are a very independent bunch with a creative streak that will make them amazing inventors or artists. My kids are great, but.....they are messy and disorganized. I know, they had to get that trait from somewhere and I am sure that my own mother is saying I told you so inside my brain right now and I also know that this too shall pass. These are some before pics. My girls have too much stuff. This bedroom is plenty big. Polly Pockets, Littlest Pet Shops, Barbies, Baby Dolls, Build a Bears, Clothes, Art Supplies, Books, Papers, and CD's clutter their room. So for two days...yes two days with a total of 7 hours, I went through everything. At least 6 bags of trash and 2 bags of DI goodies and we have achieved Nirvana.

Before




A list of the creations I just happened to tumble upon is as follows:
1. A sprouting red potato (This one was probably a "ball" that Evan brought up)
2. A small ziploc bag of hard red wheat kernels (what did they want to do? Grow a wheat field in the mess?!)
3. A model of our house complete with paper furniture (Extremely creative, but very messy and lots of pieces)
4. Several homemade necklaces and bracelets (using my beads which were expensive)
5. A molding concoction that I don't want to know what it consisted of (complete with paint brush stuck in the middle)
6. Several sippy cups that were blackened (most were trashed)
7. Board game pieces and fake money ( I don't want any more monopoly games or Shopping Mall games either!)
8. glitter (Brighten is addicted to all things "Bling")
9. A very cute penguin made out of playdoh that was hard as a rock (This was cute and I would have kept it but the beak was broken off.)
10. Luckily, no mice droppings or dirty diapers or molding food...I guess I am doing something right?

After



10 comments:

Afton said...

Nice! Such a pretty girls room. I love the beds. Do you remember Mary Randall from Skyline? She had 10 kids. She said she found that her boys had emptied out the bottom drawer of their dresser, filled it with dirt and were trying to grow potatoes. Their excuse? "It said they needed a cool, dark place to grow."

I love your list of odd things found. Do you ever wonder what the archeologists who dig up our civilization with think about what they find? I wonder if they will assign incorrect meaning to silly objects with so much authority that everyone in the future will truly believe that all iPods they dig up were really used as book marks or butter spreaders, or were maybe used in ancient religious rituals where groups of people came together and danced for exercise.

Janessa Couch said...

WOW, very impressive. We have to do a couple of hours worth of cleaning once a month and I dread it. I love their beds, very cute.

Erika said...

Yes, what a cute room!! My girls room often looks very similar to your before pics--now I don't feel so bad. But wow, what an improvement! Don't you love looking in their room when it's nice and perfect like that? I love the things you found--I remember finding rotten sippy cups in the oddest places with milk still in them that had turned into a solid white glob of gluck. Ya, those went straight to the garbage can.

http://elderwolfedr.blogspot.com said...

ah, a moment of order and peace in the universe. isn't it satisfying to take absolute chaos to perfected order. well done.

Emily said...

Thanks ladies...Afton, you make me laugh so hard!! The Ipod comment is priceless...I am working on the boys room as we speak and it definitely has a different set of issues...more to come in the next post...

Très Sucré said...

Looks great! I need to do the same thing, but then I know it will be messy again within minutes... And my mom laughs every time I bring up my frustration with messy rooms. She says I get what I deserve!

Emily said...

I got rid of the storage containers under the bed so no more stashing crap under there...you are still in the little toy phase...it's getting better, but I am not the kind of mom that gives their kids 5 toys and calls it good.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Yeah, don't ya hate it when you fix up their room real cute and they just destroy it...the worst thing I (well, Kayla) ever found in her room was a nest of newborn mice babies in her extra-clothes drawer. (sorry Kayla) We were newly living in the country; sometimes mousie moms get cold, ya know? Now we use rat poison.
:~D

Ra Ra Bazaar said...

bet they'll turn out to be artists!
I'm forever describing my house as a "creative mess"

Marah said...

Honestly, the room didn't look _that_ bad before, but maybe that tells you where I am coming from. A major cleanup is a great feeling of accomplishment, and when I did my boys' room, I would go in there and just sit afterward.