Sunday, May 15, 2011

My First Love

When I was a girl, I fell in love.  It was purely innocent and not a physical love, but a love nonetheless.  This man that I was head over heels for had curly brown hair.  He cried at the drop of a hat.  He loved animals.  He was musical.  He adored his family.  He could fix anything.  He danced.  He had the best smile in the whole world.  He pulled off suspenders like a natural and always left a few buttons open at the top of his shirt to appear just a bit more manly.  He was an entrepreneur.  He tucked his kids into bed.  When the going got rough, he pulled up his bootstraps and sacrificed the world for his family.  He laughed contagiously.  He was generous.  He stood up for his family and for others.  He loved everyone.  He brought home the strays.  His best friend was a drunk, but he loved him nonetheless.  He adopted kids and treated them as his own.  He was the "richest man in Walnut Grove."

Ok, so that last sentence gave him away, but what do you expect?  Didn't everyone love Michael Landon?  Didn't everyone want him as their Pa?  I am currently reading a book, The Wilder Life, by Wendy McClure.  It is bringing up all kinds of memories about my first love.  So much so, I spent the better part of Sunday watching clips on Youtube of Little House.  So far, it's a great read and I am kicking myself for not coming up with this idea for a book in the first place!  I mean, who doesn't love Laura Ingalls Wilder?!?

And now this book has got me thinking, how much of my own dreams are wrapped up in the idealism that Laura created for me?  I confess, that I have hand stitched clothes, loved calico dresses, and I even have a pair of boots that Laura could have worn over a century ago.  My very favorite room was decorated Laura style with a calico print wallpaper in a slanted attic style room.  And when I tried out for Junior Rose Festival Princess when I was nine, they asked me what my favorite TV show was and I exclaimed, "Little House on the Prairie....because it's old!"  I think I meant old fashioned.  So maybe that is why a man with dirty hands turns me on, or a man who cries at the drop of a hat is like the sexiest thing in the world.  Pa has simply warped my sense of reality.  He's given me too much to hope for right?  Maybe that is why I love to grow my own food, and why I wore my hair in two long braids for the entirety of first and second grade.  I have internalized perfection...and it is somewhere on the banks of Plum Creek. 

4 comments:

Afton said...

Is this the same Wendy McClure who wrote The Amazing Mackerel Pudding Plan? I heard her speak at a Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators conference a few years back. She is hilarious.

As for Michael Landon, I have to admit, I did not watch Little House on the Prairie more than a couple times. I'm not sure why not. I always felt like I missed out on something great.

Emily said...

Yes, it is Wendy the Children's book author and so far it is super funny. Did you read the books at least? Of course Pa doesn't come across quite like Michael, but he still has some redeeming qualities. Its a great read.

Afton said...

I read the books AND found a box set at a flea market years before I had children and bought it for my daughter to read. Sigh. So much for that.

Nikki said...

I, too, love Pa Ingalls. I still get misty at times when I watch Little House on the Prairie. And didn't you love Beth and Manly?? They were a perfect couple. I have my own Manly now, and I couldn't be happier!